Holy smokes batman!! Jalapeno ale too hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustavo

Reaction score
Damn well me and my cousins have been trying to drink this AG Jalapeño ale I brewed, but it's just too damn spicey !!!!! Last time I brew that. Just thought I'd share. Mug :)

How may jalapeños did you use and when? What size batch? I have been thinking about brewing one but don't want it to be too crazy.

Hah. I love jalapeño beers. I love spicy in general. Earlier this week thanks to a swap I came into possession of a beer made with not only jalapeños, but also anaheim, serrano, fresno peppers, and then habanero and bhut jolokia (ghost chili) peppers. I'll be cracking it open tomorrow with a few daring souls. I doubt yours is all that spicy :mug:

It's an easy mistake. I also love Capsaicin. And I love beer. Who would have guessed they would be soooooo bad mixed together?

Well, I'd say that since the biological effect of capsaicin is a chemical burn in the mouth (and further down the digestive tract), you're essentially adding alcohol to a chemical burn. Amplifying the pain. There's a reason why they say to consume dairy to ease the pain and that using beer to cool it is a misnomer.

Well, I'd say that since the biological effect of capsaicin is a chemical burn in the mouth (and further down the digestive tract), you're essentially adding alcohol to a chemical burn. Amplifying the pain. There's a reason why they say to consume dairy to ease the pain and that using beer to cool it is a misnomer.

No, it's not. The reason for milk is because the capsaicin oil binds to the casein protein in milk, washing it away. It does not wash away with just water.

capsacin doesn't actually chemically burn... it just triggers pain receptors. that has some secondary effects of causing your body to respond as if it were actually being harmed... but the effect is sort of like an auto-immune reaction, and not like an acid or caustic burn. it's a chemical specifically targeted at pain receptors in mammals. reptiles and birds can eat peppers and experience no pain whatsoever.

evolutionary conjecture says that this may be due to the presence of molars in mammals that destroy seeds, unlike in other animals.

Hmm...I knew about the affects of milk binding and neutralizing the capsaicin oils. I'd always understood that the oils caused a chemical burn, but apparently they don't do any actual cell damage, just bond with cell walls of nerves and simulate the sensation of a chemical burn without technically being a chemical burn. However, while I was incorrect about the cause of why alcohol makes it worse, I'm not wrong about the end result. Point is that alcohol exacerbates the heat.

I have been planning to brew one of these and making it really spicy for cooking purposes only. That and a habanero one too. What was your recipe?

Damn well me and my cousins have been trying to drink this AG Jalapeño ale I brewed, but it's just too damn spicey !!!!! Last time I brew that. Just thought I'd share. Mug :)

I made a Jalapeno Cream Ale lest year by "dry peppering" the keg with fresh sliced peppers in a hop bag. At first it was too hot, but the heat faded after a week or two. I would let yours age a bit to see if it mellows.

This is my recipe for an extract pepper beer. I have never had a problem with it being too spicy. Maybe you should remove the seed pods next time.
>
>
Ron's PEPPER BEER 1/14/2011
Ingrediants
1 can (3.3lbs) Coopers Amber Ale hopped Liquid malt extract
1 lb amber Dry Malt Extract
1 lb honey
1/2 lb light brown sugar
12-14 Jalapeno sliced peppers, seeds in
6-8 whole chile peppers
1 pack Coopers Ale yeast
2 gallons of clean tap water or bottled spring water (for the boil)
2-1/2 gallons of bottled (to top off with)
2 or 3 bags of ice if you don't have a wort chiller
Add the peppers at about 30 minutes into the 60 minute boil. I put them in a hop bag. I always make this in April, have it ready for cinco de mayo :^)

Hmm...I knew about the affects of milk binding and neutralizing the capsaicin oils. I'd always understood that the oils caused a chemical burn, but apparently they don't do any actual cell damage, just bond with cell walls of nerves and simulate the sensation of a chemical burn without technically being a chemical burn. However, while I was incorrect about the cause of why alcohol makes it worse, I'm not wrong about the end result. Point is that alcohol exacerbates the heat.

No, since it's not an actual burn, alcohol does not exacerbate the pain. Technically it helps get rid of it (although not as effectively as milk). The capsaicin oil dissolves in alcohol, thus washing it away like milk. However, since beer is relatively low in alcohol, it will do little to help. Hard liquor would help get rid of it, but you'd get pretty wasted in the process.

Capsaicin oil dissolves in alcohol, but isn't neutralized by it the same way that casein in milk neutralizes it. Once it's dissolved, it's then spread around the mouth meaning that parts of the mouth that hadn't come into contact would then come into contact. So consuming enough hard liquor would eventually remove it, but get you drunk in the process and increase the perceived burn in the mean time until either enough has washed away or the alcohol dulls your pain sensitivity.

Water may spread it around, but once it's dissolved in alcohol it will leave with the alcohol. So, a low abv beer may appear to just spread it around since it only has a small amount of alcohol. Point being, there is no chemical burn and alcohol does not technically exacerbate the heat. I'm done, and don't care about your future roundabout way of trying to seem like you were right.

To get back on topic, if done right, pepper beers can be fantastic. A local brewery has a great jalepeno smoked porter. They also have a version they added habaneros to which was fantastic. Spicy, but not overwhelming. It would be a great beer to pair with many foods. I didn't get a chance to ask how much they used. I have a sort of stout (for lack of better description - not near any style) I am about to add some serrano and poblano peppers to. I am going to start low and add to taste.

What is way too spicy to some might not be spicy at all to others. There's bound to be someone that likes that amount of heat, regardless of what it is.

Hah. I love jalapeño beers. I love spicy in general. Earlier this week thanks to a swap I came into possession of a beer made with not only jalapeños, but also anaheim, serrano, fresno peppers, and then habanero and bhut jolokia (ghost chili) peppers. I'll be cracking it open tomorrow with a few daring souls. I doubt yours is all that spicy :mug:

You must be referring to Ghost Face Killah from Twisted Pine..??

Did you brew with the seeds in?

A brewery by me made a chocolate ancho chili stout and it was awesome. They made one keg of it and put 3 ancho chilies and 3 lbs of cocoa nibs in the cask and it was good. You could just detect the spice after you took a few sips. It was just enough that everyone could enjoy it and definitely not too hot. If you like hotter, I would say 1 or 2 more would have been perfect.

Had some at their brewery recently. Hot. Really effin hot.

Enjoy:drunk:

Finally cracked it open with a couple friends. Not quite as potent as I anticipated, but yeah, still pretty hot. But at the same time, I thought it had a great flavor too. Remarkably....balanced....somehow. I'm impressed.

Too bad there are a whole lot of squarish states between you and I... I'd love to try it! hehe.

If you can get some, do it. I really liked it.

Yes I roasted the jalapeños, froze them then added to fermenter seeds and all

Next time you could obviously cut back on the peppers, or use the same amount but remove the ribs and seeds and just use the outer flesh. Should dramatically cut back on the heat but keep most of the flavor.

Yes I roasted the jalapeños, froze them then added to fermenter seeds and all

The flesh is mild heat with lots of flavor -- the seeds are bitter and pure heat. I would either omit the seeds completely or at least cut back on them. The seeds pack too much heat and overwhelm the actual flesh of the pepper.

I would say on the next batch, just use habanero; at least your mouth will just go numb.

Oh man, you are all going to call me a god when I drop some knowledge on you here...

Cook up some bratwurst in a pool of it!

You're welcome.

:rockin:

Oh man, you are all going to call me a god when I drop some knowledge on you here...

Cook up some bratwurst in a pool of it!

You're welcome.

:rockin:

winner.gif

My mouth just watered at the thought of those brats.

Well done.

Back