Holy Poop on a Stick!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cnbudz said:
I was in New hampshire last weekend and passed through N. Adams on 91(or at least went by the exit for it) I was suprised how far north in mass it was

Hate to tell you, son, you were still an hour's drive away!

Hi Cnbudz,

I just saw this thread today. Congrates on your up and coming brewery. How is everything going as of late? How are the legal and logistical things going?

As far as equipment, have you thought of hiring a welder to possibly fashion your brewery from scratch. There is probably one around that has done it before. Maybe one of the local breweries knows someone.

I may be able to convince a bar here in Milford to put your beer on tap. I know the owner. You can add me to your customer base as I'll have to get some for myself.

good luck and keep me posted

Well, I just got some bummer news...

I submitted my applications to the CT liquor board a little while ago. Called today to get an update and they told me they are back logged and won't even be looking at my application for approximately 6 months and then the licensing process will take at least another 4-6 months:(

Oh well, I guess this just gives me a bunch more time to develop and refine more recipes...

Well at least that gives you more time to plan, both on the business and the brewing side of things.

Still working on it...

The investment money is still there, but my business partner and I had to make some changes to our original plan due to cost, licensing, and the general curve balls and monkey wrenches that life throws your way. Currently I have been brewing at an area brewpub to learn as much as possible about large scale brewing. We're also discussing contract batches with a small brewery that has some extra capacity, but the earliest they would be able to accommodate a batch would be this fall/winter, and on top of that their distributor would require my partner and I to line up all the end buyers for the batches. So, still in the works but moving along very slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Budz I wish you all the luck in the world. I think I speak for most everyone on here when I say I wish I could do that, even if you are experiencing some difficulty.

I definitely don't have enough money to even set up the legal end of things or pay an attorney to make me understand the laws regarding brewing professionally.

Budz, did you see this? It *just* showed up in my email...

bluelogo.gif
h06.gif

Hello ***,

A Revolutionary Way
to Help Micro-Entrepreneurs

In June’s “What’s On Tap” you learned that The Boston Beer Company is creating a charitable program, "Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream", to help the little guys in the food and beverage industry; micro-entrepreneurs who have a solid business idea, but who need assistance. That assistance will take many forms including establishing a new fund to provide funding or legal expertise. For others, it will be the insights and guidance of a mentor or coach who has built a similar business. And yet for others, it will be access to networks and exposure that is beyond their reach...Helping lower income entrepreneurs take a step up in life and realize their American dream is a natural fit for The Boston Beer Company and grows from the very essence of who we are as a company. Come help us officially launch the program with a special night at the brewery. Meet Jim Koch and others critical to the effort. Sample great beers and great food selected to match perfectly. You can also participate in a silent auction with 100% of the proceeds going to the fund. We have a limited number of spots left open to the public. If you’re interested act fast!
RSVP here
  • What: Samuel Adams Special Event - Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream Kick Off
  • When: Monday, June 30th - 6pm to 8pm
  • Where: Samuel Adams Boston Brewery 30 Germania Street MBTA Orange Line - Stony Brook Station

EDIT: ****...

Sorry but all the spots have filled-up. Please read your "What's On Tap" newsletter each month to learn of Boston Brewery open houses and other special events open to our friends. Thank you.

There is a brewpub in Louisville that uses a small system. I think it is Cumberland Brews. If you start small, many times you can talk another brewpub/brewery into making beer for you if you need it. I would also look at the brewey in Dexter Michigan. They have a small system and sell bottles of their beers individually. I think it is Jolly Pumpkin. I have 2 bars that have agreed to put a beer on tap, if I can get a brewpub to make a batch. I have asked 2, but they said no. They used to, but not now.

I like the idea of a smaller system since you can transfer it to homebrew when you upgrade. If you brewed more specialty and harder to find beers (belgians, barleywine, etc... you could tap into a higher priced market where consumers are used to buying by the bottle.

Brooklyn still does contract brews, and we (Harpoon) got started by 2 guys in harvard business school who met up with a recent graduate of UC Davis' brewing program.

I have seen a lot of camaraderie in the craft beer industry, so get your feet wet and dont be afraid to call/e-mail/get into contact with the heavy hitters like Ommegang, Rogue, Stone, SA, Harpoon, etc and talk to them about it. Theyre good, honest, hardworking people.

Check out Cape Ann Brewing Co. in Gloucester, Ma too. Theyre about 5 yrs old and working out of a very small location and cranking out GREAT beers on the micro level. Same with Terrapin Brewing Co. in Athens, GA

You, sir, are living a personal dream of mine. Best of luck to you. New Haven, CT? If I'm ever near there, I'll stop by, and I can pick your brain about how you started a brewery :mug:

Aside from the mortgage company part. More power to you if you can deal with that kind of thing every day...

Back