holy mother of beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this the Matrix? Are any of you real? Or am i dreaming?

• 1.080 Man!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Nah, that's imposible, it's gonna tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's the gravity of the sun and now your mash tun is on a chair the enzymes work better!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I don't gamble, wait till 7pm to find out!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i posted somewhere about my proof/trales hydro jumping out the cyclinder a while back. this time i had to double check, with a less acurate one then my 1.000-1.070 one....

so in my experience, my hydro reading from first running of the mash, at mash temp is my OG at the end of brew, don't know why, no science behind it. it just works. and i got 1.080, for 20lb's of pale, 1lb' of 60L. 10 gallon batch, that would be 105% effec, which i would assume is pretty close to 100% effec, and just a different crop.

taking a poll think i'll actually get 1.080 as a OG? lol

well i have a pre-boil gravity of 1.040 at 138f, 14 gallons. brewer's friend gives me a corrected gravity of 1.054, which is the 3 points lower then beersmith i'd expect. and it says my predicted pre-boil would be 1.057, with an OG of 1.080

unforunatly, i have hang my head in shame. i thought about it more. and adjusted beersmith to 3 points less for it's estimated pre-boil. and i think i will only get 1.075. which it tells me is only 99% effec :(

Im sorry, I might be missing something here, if you have a pre-boil of 1.054 and you're OG is 1.075/1.080 how much are you boiling off? On my system i would probably end up with an OG of 1.060, my boil off rate is between 3/4 - 1 gallon roughly.

I''m not participating in polls right now, but will say I have never got above 1.065 post boil with 21 # malt in a 10 gallon batch. I'd suspect initial reading if I got 1.080 w 21#s, but perhaps you get better efficiency than me.

I'll add that a 10 gallon batch to me is apprx volume of final beer, not initial BK contents, so that could effect the statistics.

unfornatly, it tanked...i ended up with 1.068 at 80f. which corrected is 1.070, which is ONLY 92% effec.

it's kinda weird, i used to only get 83%. now i'm dissapointed with 92%. i blame all you! ;) :mug: lol

i think i got excited to see the final OG, and sparged too fast. but this is the third sorta mid 90's batch i've done, thanks to @Yooper telling me i can boil my whole mash to step it up. and i didn't wimp out this time when i was stepping it up and at 160f, i went for that extra 2 degrees for the whole 162f.

next batch i'm not going to wimp out AND take my time sparging. i sorta fly sparge, and normally i forget to fill the collander a few times during the process, this time i didn't do that.

edit: someday maybe i'll actually learn how to make good beer?

Last edited:
Im sorry, I might be missing something here, if you have a pre-boil of 1.054 and you're OG is 1.075/1.080 how much are you boiling off? On my system i would probably end up with an OG of 1.060, my boil off rate is between 3/4 - 1 gallon roughly.

i boil off ~3.5-4 gallons

and for some reason, me thanking Yooper reminds me of a scene in galaxy quest, when they all thanked tagard instead of the guy that actualy saved them. because someone i don't remeber challenged my assumption and yooper just confirmed they were right.

and for some reason, me thanking Yooper reminds me of a scene in galaxy quest, when they all thanked tagard instead of the guy that actualy saved them. because someone i don't remeber challenged my assumption and yooper just confirmed they were right.
By Grabthar's Hammer... what a memory

Back