Over 100% Eff? How did I measure wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ariaya

Reaction score
I just finished putting an Apple Caramel Amber into the fermenter and when I sat down to do my efficiency calculations, it's over 100%?

The recipe is modified from one from Brooklyn Brew Shop's Beer Making Book and is only gauged for 1 gallon.

I filled the fermenter up, then took my sample for measuring OG as I normally do. There was a fair amount of sediment so I let the sample settle out overnight before taking my reading. There was some sediment at the bottom of the cylinder that I used, but the bottom of the hydrometer didn't touch it.

The mash ended up being 75 minutes as I got tied up doing something else for a few minutes and I did add the candi with 20m left on the boil because I forgot to put it in at the beginning :)

My OG was 1.070 instead of 1.042! According to BeerSmith, that works out to 105% efficiency when I've maxed out at 72% efficiency so far. That can't be right ....

I double checked my hydrometer to make sure it's measuring 1.000 in pure water ... and it is.

Do I really have a high OG beer? or did I measure wrong?

Recipe: Apple Caramel [101213]
Brewer: VictoriaV
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 1.60 gal
Post Boil Volume: 1.35 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 1.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 18.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 37.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
1.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM)
0.8 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
2.0 oz Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM)
8.50 g Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 Items Cinnamon Stick (Boil 30.0 mins)
2.00 Items Apples, peeled and diced (Boil 20.0 mins
2.80 g Hallertau [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 60.0 mi
0.5 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [this is actually 2nd gen yeast equivelent to 1/2 a vial]

Thanks
~ V

Back