Holy Infection Batman! (infected?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Well I got back from my San Francisco vacation tonight and I was eagerly waiting to check up on my AG dunkel that I put in the secondary before I left. Today is day 14 (ready to bottle). To my surprise, I opened up the closet and EGAD!, its the closest thing to infection I have ever seen -

IMG_1341.jpg

The velvety/ fuzzy looking bubbles actually rise from the surface....

IMG_1342.jpg

The funny thing is, it smells just fine, so im very unsure as to whats going on here. I can't remember anything that compromised the beer as far as beasties except for I brewed it outside and possibly a bug got in there? I also added a small bottle of water to top it off after putting it in the primary that I found later to be "mineral enhanced"....but I dont see that affecting anything as much as the other 1000's of different miniscule tastes water minerals give off.

Thoughts???

that is mold. Rack from underneath and it might be ok.

also sanitize the **** out of everything that may have or has come in contact with it.

I had the same issue with my most recent doppelbock that I made, except I made mine inside and I'm 99.9% sure I sanitized and sealed everything properly.

When I racked I just made sure to leave that little bit on top... :cross:

It ended up tasting just fine!

I'm glad I use buckets.....or I would probably be posting all kinds of is this an infection questions. :mug:
well, no his batch is in fact infected with mold. I've had it once or twice, and I just kegged it and it was fine.

as to why there is mold, I think mine came from an extended secondary with no attention paid to it. When I did finally check it, the airlock was low on water to the point it was no longer functioning as an airlock.

we'll decoct a dunkel tomorrow, and I want to be able to compare it to yours, so it better come out.

Back