Holy frozen corney, Batman!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumbler

Reaction score
Ziff! Pow! Bam! My newly kegged creation became a solid block of ice. :drunk:

Either through my misguided tinkering or accidental bumping I now have a 5-gal. beersicle. I popped the top. Yup! - It's solid. I Left the door open and unplugged the fridge for 3 days. The temp is now set to 40. Verified through a recently bought remote temp sensor. I hope it's not ruined.

It's fine, I had one do that as well, beer tastes great, Just pulled it out and shook it up just to be sure that it didn't seperate Dont know if this was an issue but figured couldn't hurt.

It's nice to know that it's not a lost cause. :) As far as I can tell no damage to the keg. Just a hurt ego. It was still conditioning and only had 5 PSI holding charge. The smarter half was concerned that it might have separated. I'll shake and roll it a bit, let it sit a few more days and carbonate.

Remote temp sensor still reading 39.

It seems that, as the beer froze and expanded, the pressure relief poppet should have opened. I vote no breaking should have occurred.

Someplace on here are some pretty pictures of a few kegs that got all jacked up from freezing. Glad yours is OK.

Latest posts

Back