Holy efficiency(?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoplobster

Reaction score
Ok, brewing a Dry Stout tonight and according to Beer Smith I hit 90% into the boiler.

Three gallon batch, AG

4.5 British 2 Row
.50 # Roasted Barley
.50 # Flaked Barley
.25 # Choclate
(.75 oz EKG, S-04 Dry Packet)

Mashed @ 1.25 qts/#(ish) @ 154. Mashed w/ 2 gallons of 170 degree water for 60 minutes, drained, 2 batch sparge rounds of 1.5 g of 180 degree water, collected about 4.5 g.

While getting my batch to a boil, I cooled a sample and took a reading @ 60 degress and I hit 1.040, I expect to boil down to ~ 3 gallons.

This will be the first beer I will keg, and I'm geeked (not worried about a thing), but, does this seem a bit high? I can't recall getting such high efficiency from an AG batch before...

Seems high, but much depends on the accuracy of your volume and gravity measurements. Seeminly minor discrepancies can make a significant differences in the calculations. Worst case it appears you are doing pretty good. Much better than what I typically achieve.

I didn't boil off as much as I thought I would, I ended up with closer to 3.75-4g, OG is 1.050, beer smith calculates 75% actual efficiency.

I'm still stoked about kegging this one!

That's more like it and about what I usually get. You're doing just fine. Now, relax and don't rush it. Three weeks will pass quickly and you can leave some out for Santa.

Back