Holy bottle bombs Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

Reaction score
Well this is a first for me. Made a batch of blackberry cider, been in the bottle for a couple weeks. I use plastic soda bottles since they are cheap easy and the cider does not last long around here.

Woke up today and thought I smelled something yeasty, but did not give it much thought. Got on with my day and opened the pantry to get some paper towels and.....

I had a bottle rocket last night. I heard something but thought it was the cats playing around.

Never had a plastic bottle blow on me before. They can take a lot of pressure but this one had enough.

Guess what I get to do for the next couple hours?

View attachment 1504544050917.jpg

View attachment 1504544061504.jpg

View attachment 1504544072353.jpg

Yikes. Good thing it wasn't glass! Have you checked your other bottles to make sure you don't have another cleaning session on your hands? I'd open carefully with safety eyewear, and if it was a lone incident, you can enjoy the cider while you clean.

First thing I did was to put the other bottles in the fridge. Going to test one after they have chilled out.

Have made cider many times bottling in plastic and this was my first bomb.

I'm surprised that it was the bottom that blew out - I'd think that would be the strongest point of the bottle, but apparently, not! Unless that one had some sort of flaw in it maybe?

Latest posts

Back