Holy blowoff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghosthef

Reaction score
I know there are probably threads about this bit after a 13 hour day,...car died,...I am being lazy. Got home airlock on the floor and wow,...what a mess. I rigged a blowoff tube and just hoping for the best? Maybe nothing got into the carboy to spoil my sweet nectar...?

probably not. should have been enough pressure to keep out all the nasties. you're only the 1,546,354,743rd person to have a blowoff, and 99.9999994 % of us didn't have any problem

image-2697290955.jpg

Sorry blurry...that is the area opposite...I'm typing with one hand and steam cleaning with the other....

Yep. Done that before!

Just wait until the overflow has stopped and throw the airlock back on.

Also, you'll want to be sure to lick the precious krausen off of the floor. It's good for the soul.

Look at mine! Origionally the jar was what the blow off tube rested in but i switched to the bowl in the morning. Haha

image-1829436162.jpg

image-3039178618.jpg

I've only had that happen 10,000 times, never once anything bad because of it.
Actually some of my best brews had a blowoff

Blowoff explosions should make you happy. Like seeing a comet, having a random threesome, or getting a hole-in-one. Congratulations!

I guess I'll add the blow out to that list of accomplishments then!

The BEST is when the airlock hits the ceiling and paints it with yeast goo! My wife loved it!

My wife doesnt brew, and knows almost nothing about it, but she will ask "did you set up a blow-off tube?!" on brew day.

I'm still catching some flak...but she is mostly over it...told her is a good sign if that happens. I was actually quite impressed...gonna have to rig a blowoff tube for every batch now...

A couple of nasty blow offs in the house and suddenly the wife was very supportive of me getting a 15 cf chest freezer and temp controller to make a ferm chamber. I also got control of the 3rd garage for it. At least for me making a mess in the house was a good thing.

brettg20 said:
I've only had that happen 10,000 times, never once anything bad because of it.
Actually some of my best brews had a blowoff

I wasn't sure how this one was going to turn out but I find it ironic that this is simply the best drew I have churned out ever...

How right you were Brettg20!

had my first blowoff. was freaking out trying to get a new airlock ready. sounds like after reading on here i should be all right.
DSCN1417.jpg

Latest posts

Back