Holy Attenuation Pacman!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seyahmit

Reaction score
I finally got around to racking to secondary the brown ale that I brewed 3.5 weeks ago. I used the Pacman yeast with a 1/2 gallon starter. The OG was 1.066 and the FG was just below the 1.012 mark. That’s 80% attenuation! The beer also tasted great from the test tube. I’m stoked about this beer and can’t wait until I can bottle and enjoy it.

I can't wait to use mine! Prolly make a sour cherry stout with it. Hopefully my attenuation will be as good as yours. What temp did you ferment at? Are you going to culture/wash/reuse the yeast cake?

I would recommend to anyone using Pacman to save the yeast, it is a limited release. As Mario says, "When you find something good, latch onto it!"

Not that Wyeast & Rogue can't change their minds.

What styles is Pacman good for? Is it bad for any?

Please post detailed instructions for how to "save the yeast" for reuse.

BrewmanBeing said:

Please post detailed instructions for how to "save the yeast" for reuse.

Rogue uses Pacman yeast in the majority, if not all of their ales. That includes Dead Guy Ale (maibock style beer with ale yeast), Mocha Porter, and their Shakespeare Stout and Chocolate Stout.

I'm no expert, but I think this yeast could be used, with great results, with just about any type of ale. I'm brewing a Dead Guy clone with Pacman right now, and plan to clean and harvest some yeast. I'm thinking about making an Irsih Red Ale again, only maybe modifying the recipe a bit on my own, and going with the Pacman yeast instead of the Irsih Ale yeast.

I think I'm gonna use one of my smack packs on a Dead Guy-ish brew that I'll age during an upcoming trip. Not sure what else I'll brew with it.

For "saving yeast" check my signature.

I can't wait to use mine! Prolly make a sour cherry stout with it. Hopefully my attenuation will be as good as yours. What temp did you ferment at? Are you going to culture/wash/reuse the yeast cake?

My fermentation temps were around 66 degrees. I didn't save the yeast from this batch because I dry hopped with 2 oz of pellet hops. I didn't want to go through the washing process to try and save it. Also when you reuse yeast, it's best to go from light to dark in color and lower to higher in gravity each time you reuse the yeast. Since this is a brown ale with an OG of 1.066, the next step would be a barley wine or something in that ballpark.

Just to add to the above suggestions, Pacman is a very clean fermenting yeast and I think it could be used in any beer that calls for WLP001 or Wyeast 1056.

I'm brewing a 60 schilling scottish ale this Sunday with Pacman and plan to reuse that yeast for my Dead Guy clone.

I've got a batch of Pacman in transit for a Shakespeare clone, but I've also read that the yeast could be (and often is) cultured from the commercial Rogue Shakespeare and Mocha Porter bottle yeast sediment. So when Wyeast decides to stop selling it in December, it could still be attained.

Those of you who are knowledgabe in the yeast cultivation department, is it significantly harder to deal with the small amount of yeast in a commercial bottle than it would be to cultire from a 5gal homebrew batch, or directly from the Wyeast pak?

IF you can get viable yeast from a bottle......IF being the key word. You would have to start off with about 1/2 cup DME in one pint of water. Let that start up and look for yeast to settle then pour off the majority of the liquid then add a mixture of 1 cup DME in 1 quart of water. After that then you should have enough yeast to pitch into 5 gallons.

Back