Holiday Brew Spices-CLOVES

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpack

Reaction score
First of, thanks for all of the non-solicited assistance these forums have give me already. I've got an extract/grains holiday brew I made with some spices. My question:

Will the cloves fade any? My follow up. When should this start to happen.

It is a graff type with 3.3 Amber LME, 2 lbs DME. 1/2 pound Crystal 80, .25 pound of munich and biscuit. 4 gallon boil. 2 gallons of apple juice and 2 pounds of honey for FYI.

probably a half dozen whole cloves (crushed) a flame out. Really strong (for me).

Thanks in advance!

This doesnt answer your question, but it will bump it to the top anyway. I was/am considering a small amount in a porter, I will watch replies here with interest. I have never tried apple juice in a beer, sounds interesting. Would your recipe be ready by xmas, i may have to try it. Are you boiling the apple juice and honey as part of the 4 gallon?

Eric

They will fade it just may take some time. I put 3 while cloves in a Christmas beer last year and they ended up in the primary because I didn't bag them. It was pretty bad until about march or April. They will fade out though, it just takes time

Just racked to Secondary to think a little. Tasted interesting (not interesting bad) malty/cidery/on the dryer/sweet side and not tart. More cloves than I like.

regarding boil. nope, just the extract/grains. Added the juice/honey into the primary. Oh, with some Willamette (1 oz at 45) and some Ahantum (1 oz at 15).

Latest posts

Back