Hole Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeiaMarcus

Reaction score
Setting up my three tap (possibly four) system. Quick couple questions...

1. My bar shares a common standard wall with another room where my standard size fridge is located- very short distance through the wall to the bar. What size of a hole saw should I drill through the side of fridge to accommodate 4 tap lines and a 1" blower line.... I was thinking 3" would be good enough....thoughts?

2. I am planning on 5' of beer line with most of the beer line coiled up inside if fridge....am I on the right track?

3. I purchased a 12v squirrel cage blower to place in fridge with a 1" plastic tubing to run into tap line duct work and insulate. I'm plannin a return line (another hole in the fridge to recirculate the cold air.... Suggestions or comments about my plan?

I appreciate the knowledge everyone shares on this site. Much appreciated

- a 3" hole will be plenty big enough to line the hole with insulation and protect the lines from chaffing. Could probably go a bit smaller but you only get one shot with a hole saw.

- way too short for your beer line runs. Think more like 10-12'.
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

- as long as the blower isn't producing more heat than its worth, coupled with good insulation it could work well enough to get through the warmest part of your year.

Cheers!

hole_ID.jpg

- a 3" hole will be plenty big enough to line the hole with insulation and protect the lines from chaffing. Could probably go a bit smaller but you only get one shot with a hole saw.

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

- as long as the blower isn't producing more heat than its worth, coupled with good insulation it could work well enough to get through the warmest part of your year.

Cheers!
Thanks Day_trippr... I appreciate the reply. Especially the critique on the beer line length. I thought I read somewhere for a short run between the fridge and the taps, 5' was about the right size. Maybe I got it backwards and the short run requires more line...thinking out loud, that may make sense for pressure reasons. I will follow your links and do more research on the line lengths.... Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Cheers!
Thanks Day_trippr... I appreciate the reply. Especially the critique on the beer line length. I thought I read somewhere for a short run between the fridge and the taps, 5' was about the right size. Maybe I got it backwards and the short run requires more line...thinking out loud, that may make sense for pressure reasons. I will follow your links and do more research on the line lengths.... Thanks again!!

No idea how you got to 2 feet.

- Pressure set to your 10 psi

- 3/16" ID is .1875" (the default)

- rise is the default 1.5', which when you think about measuring from the middle of the keg to a faucet, puts the faucet barely above the keg. So that's pretty much the minimum rise you can have unless you're piping downhill.

- flow rate set to the default 10 second fill time for a "pint"

- FG left at the default 1.009, perhaps a bit on the thin side, but this is a second-order factor anyway

Et voila! 8.something feet...

Cheers!

calc.jpg

No idea how you got to 2 feet.

- Pressure set to your 10 psi

- 3/16" ID is .1875" (the default)

- rise is the default 1.5', which when you think about measuring from the middle of the keg to a faucet, puts the faucet barely above the keg. So that's pretty much the minimum rise you can have unless you're piping downhill.

- flow rate set to the default 10 second fill time for a "pint"

- FG left at the default 1.009, perhaps a bit on the thin side, but this is a second-order factor anyway

Et voila! 8.something feet...

Cheers!

I'll have to go back and take a look at the vertical rise from keg to faucet. I was thinking it was closer to 3ft with a 5sec pour. 10 seconds seemed a little long for a pour. With 3ft and 10 seconds, I was getting 2.26..??? I will recheck the Vertical Rise when I get back home- thanks

If I use the same parameters I listed but change the fill time to 5 seconds the length goes down to under 2.5 feet.

But you'll be trading time for inches of head and lost carbonation.

Bad juju...

Cheers!

Hey- I really appreciate the replies. This is my first keg setup. I've ordered Perlick faucets. Trying to do it right.... You've given me some things to research for the length of line.... Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back