Hole size and tunnel reccomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Going to be doing the conversion of my Oster soon and looking for advice on a couple of points.

Doing a setup where I will have a cabinet around the fridge with a butcher block top.

1. What size hole would you recommend? I will have two beer lines and a line thru for cooling.
2. What should I use as a tunnel between the fridge and the top? PVC? aluminum? This may also affect the hole size.

My hunch here is 3" with a PVC tunnel.

Recommendations?

Just took the top off and I think I am safe anywhere on the top. I can feel heat on the sides. I think that is where all the coiling is.

Also I will have a week or so where I am just going to have it coming thru the fridge while the cabinet is being built. Do I need to reinforce with plywood for this "phase 1" setup? Once the butcher block is in I will be screwing the tower into that.

I just converted a danby 4.4, my size hole was 2.5 inch. I couldn't find a bigger hole saw than that at the home depot I went to. Up the tower I stuck some copper pipes, I'm hoping that they will pick up the coolness from the fridge and transmit it up the tower. That has seemed to work for others. I have my tower reinforced to to a 1/2 inch board, I dont think it will hold onto just the fridge very well, might as well reinforce it for the time being. Good luck

Ended up using a 2 3/4 hole saw and it worked great. Whole setup came out nice. Within a couple weeks, should be able to get it in the cabinet and get the final product done. Gonna tap the first taste tonight.

Back