Holding Mash Temp with Digital Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwbrewing32

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a digital thermometer/controller that can control a heating source and a cooling source. It has a waterproof sensor and I thought I could use it for monitoring the mash (goes up to 200 degress Fahrenheit).

I do BIAB mashing on top of a darkstar burner (gas) normally. Is there a hotplate or something that I could use to maintain temperature using the thermometer controller?

I'm trying to improve each step and holding mash temp to 1 degree would be great.

Thanks!

Heating a mash with temperature control will most likely require either constant stirring or recirculation of the wort with a pump and a false bottom to separate the heat from the mash to avoid scorching. Without doing either of these, the mash adjacent to the heat will overheat and not be distributed to the entire mash.

Striving to maintain mash temps to 1 degree is not worth the effort IMO when you can easily maintain 2-3 degrees with insulation or putting your kettle in a warm oven. Another option is a small infusion of boiling water part way through the mash test.

Ymmv JMO.

Back