Hoist point for bag lift, advice needed please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILMSTMF

Reaction score
Hello,

I am tired of lifting the BK 4 times on brew day. (Omitting details - I've written in other threads on it). I am moving to a different position to conduct mash, bag lift, boil, chill, and transfer to FV. Problem - my usual position is where a perfect overhead hoist point for the hook is available. The new position does not have one.

• I have a 6' A-frame ladder. It seems to be too short. Note that I have to keep the ladder's "arms" somewhat collapsed in order to keep them from touching the kettle - a potential to scratch. This provides less stability of the ladder, in theory.
• Also, the gap between bottom of bag and top of wort surface may not be enough to separate one from the other. I did not conduct this test with actual wort and grains in the bag. See photos:

unstable arms 1.pngunstable arms 2.pngnot enough heigh.png

Possible solutions:

• My neighbor has an 8' A-frame. I have a great friendship with him but I don't want to bother him to borrow on every brew day.
• Elevate the 6' ladder by putting something under each leg. But what? And what would not be heavy? The whole point is to eliminate physical labor so lugging cinder blocks is not something I want to consider. Empty buckets turned upside down stable enough? I just kind of hate this idea.

While I might be able to do this as pictured, the bag would be in the way once done draining. I know @LittleRiver has no problem with this but that gap between hook and kettle looks pretty tight.
Another point - I'm using the holes on the top "step" of the ladder to rest the hook on. The hook does not "bite" onto the curved section of itself thus, not a secure hooking.

All advice appreciated! But please don't tell me to "just eliminate the bag hoist." I'm hoisting it and need the brains here to offer ideas on how. Thanks!

Use two ladders and a plank in-between to use as your hoist point mount.

Not bad!! So, throw the hook over the plank and wrap the rope around it, tied in a knot? Or do you punch holes in the plank to actually hook the hook onto?
More importantly, I only have one ladder... I've got a couple of step ladders though! lol

An excuse to buy another ladder perhaps? I have several ladders and tend to use them all. Anyway, if it were me, I'd put a proper eyelet into whatever your plank of choice ends up being. If say a 2x4 or similar, either the kind with a wood screw thread or even better would be a thru hole with large fender washer on top and a nut to secure it all.

I mash and boil with my kettle on the floor and use a similar ladder and pulley. It works great for the pulley height for mashing, but later I have to lift the full kettle and set it higher to drain to the fermenter. I’ve been thinking of getting a hydraulic lift cart to be able to raise and lower the kettle. The cart top could be raised after mashing and draining the bag. I’m not sure if there woUld be any interference with the ladder when the top is in the lowest position. A couple examples are linked below.

https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-61405.html
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200696307_200696307

but later I have to lift the full kettle and set it higher to drain to the fermenter.

Welcome to the horrible club.
No brewing on floor for me. And no more lifting the BK. Looks like you found a solution with the hydraulic table(s) but I'm trying to get this problem solved with 1) stuff I have on hand or 2) stuff that won't cost much. Cheers!

If you are handy at all, you could build a simple frame that would accomplish this for less than a ladder. It would more or less look like a ladder but be the exact size you need.

If you are handy at all, you could build a simple frame that would accomplish this for less than a ladder. It would more or less look like a ladder but be the exact size you need.

Not handy, at all. I have people who are though! I would need something that could be taken apart or collapsed for compact storage. I'll see what the dudes think. Thanks!

I bought a trailer hitch mounted game hoist and mounted it with U-Bolts to my brew stand and it worked great.. You could mount one to anything sturdy enough really, including a vehicle backed into your driveway if that's a convenient brewing location.

ECOTRIC Truck 2" Hitch Game Hoist 400LB Big Game Hunting Deer Hoist Winch Lift Gambrel Set 360 Degree Swivel Hitch Mounted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TJNMDRJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X8k6EbNJB1NWQ

I replaced the wire rope and hook with paracord and a carabiner and it worked like a charm.

build a brew stand, and then add a arm that is attached to stand to attach your hoist to. I built my stand out of pallet boards, but bought a 2x4 to make my L arm to hold my hoist over my kettle. I also put the stand on wheels so that I can move it around. I made my L arm removable so that I move it through a door way (was used when I was brewing outdoors) I do 5 gal batches, and my bill is usually no more than 13lbs. Just a thought. I do need to resize, need to make it smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
Hello,

I am tired of lifting the BK 4 times on brew day. (Omitting details - I've written in other threads on it). I am moving to a different position to conduct mash, bag lift, boil, chill, and transfer to FV. Problem - my usual position is where a perfect overhead hoist point for the hook is available. The new position does not have one.

• I have a 6' A-frame ladder. It seems to be too short. Note that I have to keep the ladder's "arms" somewhat collapsed in order to keep them from touching the kettle - a potential to scratch. This provides less stability of the ladder, in theory.
• Also, the gap between bottom of bag and top of wort surface may not be enough to separate one from the other. I did not conduct this test with actual wort and grains in the bag. See photos:

View attachment 685078View attachment 685079View attachment 685080

Possible solutions:

• My neighbor has an 8' A-frame. I have a great friendship with him but I don't want to bother him to borrow on every brew day.
• Elevate the 6' ladder by putting something under each leg. But what? And what would not be heavy? The whole point is to eliminate physical labor so lugging cinder blocks is not something I want to consider. Empty buckets turned upside down stable enough? I just kind of hate this idea.

While I might be able to do this as pictured, the bag would be in the way once done draining. I know @LittleRiver has no problem with this but that gap between hook and kettle looks pretty tight.
Another point - I'm using the holes on the top "step" of the ladder to rest the hook on. The hook does not "bite" onto the curved section of itself thus, not a secure hooking.

All advice appreciated! But please don't tell me to "just eliminate the bag hoist." I'm hoisting it and need the brains here to offer ideas on how. Thanks!
An alternative to lifting the bag from the wert is to drain the wert into your FV. You could then squeeze the bag with a pan lid or even sparge with 170 degree water from a kettle. Either way, the bag will be easier to lift without the need of a hoist. Be cheaper, and much safer. getting the wert from the FV back to the Kettle should be easy if you have a jug.

I saw a cool tri pod at a big brew day event a couple years ago. Using conduit and connecters and a game hoist. I know you don't want to spend any money,but the only way to do that is to have a lift point. Could you use an anchor point for the garage door?

You could use sawhorse brackets to make a simple frame that is also collapsible for storing when it's not in use. Just make the legs longer and add a cross beam to keep it from going sideways. Cheap and it works great. Many years ago I used this method to make an outdoor baby swing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-2-sawhorse-brackets-67163.html

I made a rig using the 1/2 threaded galvanized pipe at Home Depot. I built a pretty stable base and “arms” on top to hang gear.

it wasn’t that expensive and I can unscrew everything for easy storage. This isn’t a good picture but all I have. I can send more if you’re interested. At the top (out of the picture) is a 90 degree and then a length of pipe coming out over the kettle that I use, with a pulley, to lift the bag. ive don’t about 15 lb batches with this set up.

Attachments

• EBAEADC9-41A7-4D95-9CD5-7056CC34DDBC.jpeg
    EBAEADC9-41A7-4D95-9CD5-7056CC34DDBC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 134
An alternative to lifting the bag from the wert is to drain the wert into your FV. You could then squeeze the bag with a pan lid

Actually, that was my original plan. It would eliminate the hoist entirely. But, it would require me to lift the bucket to dump the wort back into kettle. Now, that would be easier than lifting the bulky BK but, still, a lift.

I saw a cool tri pod at a big brew day event a couple years ago

Got me thinking now. I have a sturdy tripod that I don't use any more. She'll get relatively high, perhaps not as high as the A-frame. I need to check. I like this idea because three are no ladder arms to scuff up the the BK. The tripod legs are smooth so even if I bump, nothing gets damaged. The tricky part will be figuring out how to secure the hook / rope around the neck of the tripod. I'm going to try this - parts are here, no out of pocket, why not test it?

You could use sawhorse brackets to make a simple frame that is also collapsible for storing when it's not in use. Just make the legs longer and add a cross beam to keep it from going sideways.

it wasn’t that expensive and I can unscrew everything for easy storage.

These are great ideas also. I'm looking to do something with minimal footprint and minimal out of pocket that, of course, provides stability.

Thanks all, keep it coming!

Actually, that was my original plan. It would eliminate the hoist entirely. But, it would require me to lift the bucket to dump the wort back into kettle. Now, that would be easier than lifting the bulky BK but, still, a lift.
Yup, omit the hoist.
Use a small bucket, container, pitcher, whatever, to "ladle" the wort "up" from the drain bucket back into your kettle. Then you don't need to lift and try to pour the heavy bucket of hot wort.

Although I'm not doing BIAB, that's similar to what I do. My cooler mash tun sits on a foot high bench, drains into a 3.5 gallon, half height bucket. The captured wort gets poured out or "ladled" into the boil kettle sitting on an induction plate at countertop height.

You could use a pump instead, if that suits you better, or don't want to lift anything. But for 7-8 gallons of wort that maybe more work than doing a manual transfer of smaller amounts at a time.

I'm looking to do something with minimal footprint and minimal out of pocket that, of course, provides stability.
By doing it the way as described above, you won't need a ladder or any other hideous cat-in-the-hat scaffold contraption to lift a dripping wet 20# bag out of your kettle. None of them look very safe to me either.
Besides, that bag would need to be swung over and lowered if you don't want it hanging there for your whole brew session. Try stirring the wort during a hopstand/whirlpool or trying to get your immersion chiller into the kettle while that bag hangs 10" above it. ;)

Use a small bucket, container, pitcher, whatever, to "ladle" the wort "up" from the drain bucket back into your kettle. Then you don't need to lift and try to pour the heavy bucket of hot wort.

Hmmmmm... I do have a 1 gallon pitcher...

Besides, that bag would need to be swung over and lowered if you don't want it hanging there for your whole brew session. Try stirring the wort during a hopstand/whirlpool or trying to get your immersion chiller into the kettle while that bag hangs 10" above it. ;)

Solid points!

...Try stirring the wort during a hopstand/whirlpool or trying to get your immersion chiller into the kettle while that bag hangs 10" above it. ;)

Those are not valid points.

The things you are describing take place after the boil.

Gravity will fully drain the bag during the boil. At the end of the boil the bag can and should be removed.

Those are not valid points.

The things you are describing take place after the boil.

Gravity will fully drain the bag during the boil. At the end of the boil the bag can and should be removed.

Well, to be fair, I put my IC into BK last 10 of boil... so, indeed, the bag would be in the way.
Might be splitting hairs here but, I'd not hesitate to remove the bag from above BK before adding the IC to BK.

Now, if I really want to split hairs, all along, my process has been:

1 hr mash rest.
Hoist bag.
Let it hang for 10 or 15 minutes.
Squeeze bag.
Remove bag from the equation.
Begin boil.

And I'm pretty comfortable with that process! I respect @LittleRiver's process because 1) it saves the 10 or 15 minutes I would use to gravity drain and 2) it eliminates the bag squeeze. FFS, please let's not start debating about squeezing or not squeezing the bag... haha

FFS, please let's not start debating about squeezing or not squeezing the bag...
But keeping a gallon or 2 of (cold) strike water behind for a dunk sparge, after draining, could easily "squeeze" a few more points out of that bag trapping high gravity wort.

Our Yorkshire laddy already said this:
An alternative to lifting the bag from the wert is to drain the wert into your FV. You could then squeeze the bag with a pan lid or even sparge with 170 degree water from a kettle. Either way, the bag will be easier to lift without the need of a hoist. Be cheaper, and much safer. getting the wert from the FV back to the Kettle should be easy if you have a jug.

Here is a pic of my setup. What isn't shown is the ratcheting pulley that hangs from the hook to hoist the bag. The black iron pipe gantry up top is made up of parts I bought at Lowes, I had them cut the two angled arms to length to get things to line up. I spray painted mine with clear paint to prevent rusting due to condensate, 40+ batches later I've had zero problems with this method. Cheap, easy to build, and super sturdy. I would think you could make up a free standing version of this pretty inexpensively.

20171021_162831.jpg

QFVjGm8.jpg

I have to add a vote for getting a nice quality, sturdy ladder. The picture is of a 10+ year old 18' Gorilla ladder which now runs about $180. It folds up to not much bigger than a 6' wooden step ladder.

In addition to 10 gallon BIAB (that's 27 lbs of grain in the bag plus absorbed water) I probably use mine at least once a month and cumulatively have used it hundreds of times.

Not handy, at all. I have people who are though! I would need something that could be taken apart or collapsed for compact storage. I'll see what the dudes think. Thanks!

Maybe your "people" could build something like this (not mine):
004-jpg.243165

QFVjGm8.jpg

I have to add a vote for getting a nice quality, sturdy ladder. The picture is of a 10+ year old 18' Gorilla ladder which now runs about $180. It folds up to not much bigger than a 6' wooden step ladder.

In addition to 10 gallon BIAB (that's 27 lbs of grain in the bag plus absorbed water) I probably use mine at least once a month and cumulatively have used it hundreds of times.

That's looking good! So what do you got up there, a wood board with an eyebolt in it? Or is that metal, I can't tell.
In any case, it's a big spend "just for a hoist". Sure, we can prob figure out a use for the ladder in other applications but not often. I've got a huge straight ladder too that's a pain to move with one adult.

Starting to look like borrowing the 8' from neighbor will be the short-term solution.

How much is a batch of beer? You could build a suitable frame for that if you wanted to from common 2X materials and some screws.

QFVjGm8.jpg

This is what I was going to suggest. I have one of these ladders, but don’t use it for brewing. The extendable legs make it very useful. It will straighten out so it can be used as an extension ladder in addition to be being a step ladder. And it’s heavy duty enough that it would work well for a hoist.

That's looking good! So what do you got up there, a wood board with an eyebolt in it? Or is that metal, I can't tell.
In any case, it's a big spend "just for a hoist". Sure, we can prob figure out a use for the ladder in other applications but not often. I've got a huge straight ladder too that's a pain to move with one adult.

Starting to look like borrowing the 8' from neighbor will be the short-term solution.
Yes exactly that. I understand the cost concern as I bought my ladder well before starting to use it to BIAB so it wasn't an extra brewing expense. They do come in handy though.

If buying one to BIAB you could probably get a shorter cheaper ladder. I don't have to use the top steps on mine for the hoist support board and could probably drop the board down one or even two steps and it would still work.

Last edited:
I just brew on the back patio. I have a hook in the patio roof as my hoist point.

@LittleRiver and I were trying to figure this out. Where I plan to move the brew to is the front porch, under the roof awning. It's covered by... aluminum? Tin? I don't know. Anyway, the natives will become restless if I attempt to install a hook there.
Even though it's a good solution, it's just not going to be worth the drama it will create. haha

With all these ideas that have been tossed at you, is there any way that you can take pics of where your future brew area is going to be? Explain on how you are thinking of setting it up... such as building a brew stand, brewing on the floor, If you are going to be setting up and breaking down every brew day, how far will you be traveling if you do, types of surfaces you will be encountering. I completely understand the idea of wanting to get away from lifting as much as possible.
I think with how much creativity that is on here, we would be able to though more ideas at you that would fit your scenario.

I think with how much creativity that is on here, we would be able to though more ideas at you that would fit your scenario.

The responses here have been invaluable. If there's some ideas that don't work for me, I'm sure other folks in my position could benefit.

That said, I've arrived at borrowing the neighbor's 8' ladder as my best short-term solution. I still need to test my old tripod too. Essentially, using what I have on-hand first. If neither work well enough, I will plan to build something that resembles a pull up bar. Cheers!

@LittleRiver and I were trying to figure this out. Where I plan to move the brew to is the front porch, under the roof awning. It's covered by... aluminum? Tin? I don't know. Anyway, the natives will become restless if I attempt to install a hook there.
Even though it's a good solution, it's just not going to be worth the drama it will create. haha
I thought you were off the hook already. Draining is in your future...

Maybe your "people" could build something like this (not mine):
004-jpg.243165
That is very similar to how I built mine. I think it only took about 3- 8’ 2X4s, a 3/8 eye bolt and a hand full of deck screws. I’m guessing it was around $30 to build.
I brew in my machinery shop so I had to hang my moving blanket behind it so you can see it better. If you’re brewing outside, you might be able to use treated lumber and just store it outside.
B93439EF-E5F7-4C00-B118-E6D233A9FA3C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back