hoff stevens keggle help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smitty403

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about two years and have been slowly acquiring new equipment. I am currently trying to make a bigger brew kettle and a mash tung in order to start all grain brewing. I have an extra cooler and believe that I have an idea on how to make the mash tung. Today I acquired three Hoff-Stevens kegs for free from a local brewery. Initially I did not know that they were the Hoff-Stevens style with the bung at mid-section, until I picked them up. Since the price was right I still picked them up. I think I’m going to save one or two of them so that I can convert them into a fermenter in case I decide to get into larger batches. May reconsider this option since they will be heavy when filled and I brew in my yard so moving them inside may be an issue.

My question is: does anyone have any experience in converting this style keg into a kettle? I’ve done some reading and it appears that some people have used a silicone bung to seal the hole for the kettle and have had minimal issues. Is this a good option? I do have some experience with welding. I’m not a great welder but I do have a welder, I do not know what’s involved in food grade welding or welding SS. the other option, I was thinking is a freeze plug but have done minimal research on this option. I have not removed the wooden bung yet to see if it’s fitted. Looking for any ideas that anyone may have.
As everyone is normally looking for, I’m looking for the cheapest and easiest way to make this conversion.

Thanks for the help

Since you got them for free, I would consider finding someone who is a good TIG welder and paying them to weld it/ patch it with stainless, or trade for homebrew. I don't know about the silicone bung solution, but I wouldn't want to risk that sucker coming out during mash or sparge and having hot liquid coming out around my feet. Good luck with them and good score on getting free kegs of any kind.

I was thinking about keeping the wodden bung but am concerned about sanitation but I guess the boiling would sanitize or would I have to replace it after each use? I tried to pull it out by hand and I'm going to need tools. by the way what does BK stand for?

I would not worry about the bung and sanitation for the HLT, MT. or Burger King...If you want to use as a fermenter, maybe not. I would not remove it until you have a plan. I would not remove it after use but just leave it in...sanitation for the inside of the brew kettle is not an issue AFAIK....that's what the boil is for!

I was thinking the same thing do you think that the wood would cause and in wanted flavoring especially after a couple boils

Latest posts

Back