Hoff Stephens Keg into a brew pot.. ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalarast

Reaction score
Okay geniuses of DIY I need some advice on turning this Hoff Stephens Keg I picked up from Freecycle (yeah free) into a brew kettle.

Condition of the keg is dented up on the sides; but is stable. Still has the good ol wooden bunghole on the side. Have not broken the seal to take out the pressure cause I'm going try to get this welded at a shop.

My ideas of course are based on the following thread I found online:
http://www.northchautauquahomebrewers.com/keg/hsbrew.htm
But I would like to get some fittings on this thing to such as:

1) Thermometer in the to be welded bunghole.
2) Sightguage
3) And a valve kit (for use when I switch over to AG).

What am I missing? Any other ideas on perhaps to make this a more complete kettle? I still have other posts on craigslist/freecycle to attempt to gain more kegs to build my brew sculpture; but the SWMBO has me on a strict budget.

Also if you happen to live in the Hampton Roads area and loves to weld for beer or trade of other items or a nice cheap price for a fellow HB let me know!
Thanks in advance!
Guna

That site seems good enough to me for basic instructions and ideas. If you are looking to install a thermo, ball valve and sight gauge I would do it much like any other keggle build which there are plenty documented on here. This means you have to decide if you want them welded in or weldless. Other than those three things I'm not sure what else you would add that the website you listed dosen't show. Sorry that's not much help.

Well one thing I'm wondering since I'm not a welder (I blow things up not fix things) is that would I be able to use the welded over bunghole to attach/weld the thermometer to the kettle? Or should I just weld the bunghole and find another area to place the thermometer?

Okay geniuses of DIY I need some advice on turning this Hoff Stephens Keg I picked up from Freecycle (yeah free) into a brew kettle.

Condition of the keg is dented up on the sides; but is stable. Still has the good ol wooden bunghole on the side. Have not broken the seal to take out the pressure cause I'm going try to get this welded at a shop.

My ideas of course are based on the following thread I found online:
http://www.northchautauquahomebrewers.com/keg/hsbrew.htm
But I would like to get some fittings on this thing to such as:

1) Thermometer in the to be welded bunghole.
2) Sightguage
3) And a valve kit (for use when I switch over to AG).

What am I missing? Any other ideas on perhaps to make this a more complete kettle? I still have other posts on craigslist/freecycle to attempt to gain more kegs to build my brew sculpture; but the SWMBO has me on a strict budget.

Also if you happen to live in the Hampton Roads area and loves to weld for beer or trade of other items or a nice cheap price for a fellow HB let me know!
Thanks in advance!
Guna

I think most of us with a significant other is on some sort of "Brew Budget". They just don't understand our lust for the amber nectar. Treat this keg like any other. I can't think of anything you are missing. Best of luck with it.

Thanks guys. Well hopefully with an unexpected Army check tomorrow I can get in contact with some local welders and get this piece rolling and if all goes to plan have it ready this weekend if not by next weekend.

Well I'm happy that the wife lets me brew in the house and she helps out; but if only she would get a second job so I can afford more ;) Or figure out this lotto thing!

Back