Hoegaarden slacker attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joutlaw

Reaction score
How do you think this will turn out

Steeped at 155F for 20 minutes:
1/2lb of Carapils
1/4lb of White Wheat

6lb Wheat LME
3/4lb Extra Light DME

45g's of Hersbrucker for 60 minutes

5/8oz of crushed Coriander seeds for 15 minutes

5/8oz of crushed Coriander seeds for 10 minutes
1/2oz of sweet orange peels for 10 minutes
1/2oz of bitter orange peels for 10 minutes

17g's of Hersbrucker for 5 minutes

Wyeast Forbidden Fruit Yeast

I'm thinking probably a good bit of orange... I was trying to use elements from this recipe but I didn't have orange blossum honey or Northern Brewer Hops. I also read to use that strain of yeast if you like orange flavor in your beer.

• 4-1/2 pounds light dry wheat malt extract
  • 2 pounds orange honey
  • 1 ounce Hallertauer or Northern Brewer (7.5 HBU, boil)
  • 1 ounce Hallertauer or Hersbrucker (3 HBU finish)
  • 1-1/2 ounces crushed coriander
  • 1/2 ounce dried orange peel
  • Belgian Ale yeast (Wyeast 1214)
Bring 5 gallons of water to a boil, then add first three ingredients. Boil 45 minutes, then add 3/4 oz. coriander. Boil 10 minutes, then add remaining coriander and orange peel. Boil 5 minutes, and add the finishing hops for a final 2 minutes. Chill immediately to 75 F, areate into 5 gallon carboy, and add yeast. Ferment using blow-off method, then prime with 3/4 cup corn sugar and bottle.

Well I took a sample and this thing has worked itself like crazy. Its gone from 1.055 - 1.060 to 1.010 in 8 days. Pretty good I think considering the cooler temperatures lately, and how we rarely turn on the heat. I've been keeping a space heater by it running a good bit and trying to keep it around 72F or so.

I was impressed how clear and light this brew already was. It looks much different than the Sunshine Wheat clone I've made 5 times, that is a much similar recipe. It's not white, but pretty light yellow for a wheat.

I think I'm going to like this strain of yeast, b/c the sample tasted great. A good balance overall with a nice orange aftertone, pretty much what I was shooting for.

This might require another thread but how is the best way to save yeast. Do I save everything from the bottom? Basically transfer from the primary to the secondary, add some water and make a slurry. Then tranfer that to a few bottles is what I'm assuming. Then take the bottles and keep them in the fridge, and check them so often for excessive pressure.

Saving yeast question:

Contrary to some, I save the yeast from the secondary. My theory is that all the "crud" is left in the primary.

After racking from the secondary to the keg, I swirl up the yeast cake with the small amount of remaining beer and fill a sanitized quart jar with the the resulting slurry. Cap it lightly so if any pressure builds there's no possibility an "incident" (my wife HATES incidences) and refrigerate. I've kept yeast this way for over a month.

Next brewday, bring the jar out of refrigerator several hours before brewing so it can slowly reach room temperature. When ready to pitch - pour off most of the clear liquid, swirl the yeast into suspension, toss it in... And stand back as fermentation is gonna start FAST and FURIOUS!

The experts say to only do this a maximum of 5 times with the same yeast. Something about familial inbreeding/genetic regression, I guess.

Hopsnort

Thanks for the info... I'll give that a whirl after this is done settling next week.
It's hard to pop 6$ a batch for yeast to me. I try to keep things down to around 20-22$ a batch, b/c most of the time friends come over and it's gone in a weekend.

I think I may make it again next week. I had some issues with pooring right on top on of previous yeast cakes from liquid, like Wyeast or White Labs. The beer came out with a different taste for sure, but couldn't quite track it down.

Latest posts

Back