Hmmmm ... is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naeco

Reaction score
I racked my cider for the first time yesterday and had to top with fresh juice to avoid having too much airspace. I added 3 liters of wal mart apple juice in each 5 gallon carboy and was expecting to see some airlock activity because of the added sugar from the juice but nothing ?

Should I be seeing airlock activity after adding 3 liters in a 5 gallon carboy or is it too little added sugar to notice it ?

Naeco

Do you think I can notice a change with the hydrometer ? Also, do I have to sanitize the airlock every time I check the sugar content ?

There's one way to find out I guess. Take a reading and check it in a week. As for sanitizing your airlock, you can never be too careful, it would be a shame to spoil a 5 gal. batch.

I just checked and the cider went from bone dry to 1.010 with the added apple juice !!!!

Still not seeing any activity but I will wait and check the gravity again in a week.

thanks

I just noticed it's making 1 bubble every 20 minutes so it's fermenting ... this is going to take forever LOL !!!!

Back