Hlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balrog429

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm still new to this got a some extract kits under my belt but I know the way to go is all grain. With that in mind I made a MT out of a 10 gallon rubbermaid jug. The question I have is do I really need a HLT? My reasoning is that if the strike water and sparge water are different temps why hold it in a tank that is a different temp? Am I may be missing something? I can make a HLT if I need to out of another 10 gal. cooler. Thanks for the help.

you could heat your strike and sparge water in your boil kettle, then you just collect the runnings from your mlt into a different vessel and pour it into the boil kettle and continue like normal.

HLT is just a term describing a vessel to heat/hold hot water. I use a single vessel for heating strike and sparge water and simply add more water to the tank when heating for the sparge after draining for the mash.

Some people then collect wort in a separate vessel and transfer back to the same kettle to use for the boil.

Thanks guys. I have a few kegs that I'm getting ready to convert. The first one will be a boil kettle. As far as the strike and sparge water go, I have a 5 gallon pot that I'm gonna heat up as I go. Strike first then pout, then heat up the sparge and get it done.

Back