Hlt > Mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Long

Reaction score
So I have the normal, clear, easily bendable tubing from my LHBS. Can I use that to transfer my striking water to my MLT? Or do I need a special type of tubing?

Thanks!

I would never attempt that myself without knowing about the tube.. I just am not so sure about how much temp my tubing can handle. I wouldn't try it unless I was sure.
For my strike water and everything on my AG system I use a braided hose that is rated to take boiling water. It's from Goodyear.
If I were you or myself and doing it over again, I'd get some silicone tubing from one of the online HB shops.

Then again it could be that you have hi temp tubing and its fine, hard to tell.

But avoid the risk of plastic and chemical leeching above all else.

Cheers

You should use either the white opaque thermoplastic stuff or silicone. They are about $1.50 and 2.20 per foot respectively from any homebrew shop online. Cut a small piece of the tubing you thought you wanted to use and leave it in a teacup of 190f water. Let it cool, then taste the water. If it tastes good, use it.

Back