HLT Help Needed - Unfixable leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
Greetings, friends!

I've been having trouble with my HLT made with a Rubbermaid 10g cooler. It worked well for many years, but recently has started to leak from the connection point of the bulkhead. I've tried tightening, changing around the fittings, putting in more washers, but nothing wonks.

I realized for a while that water was getting in between the white inner lining and the orange outer shell. Today I tipped the cooler upside down over the sink to drain and the inner layer came out. Has this happened to anyone else?

I am thinking that maybe I need to re-seal the inner plastic to the casing, but not sure if that'll solve my leakage problem. Any advice?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-3595.jpg
    IMG-3595.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG-3596.jpg
    IMG-3596.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
If the round profile silicone gasket is not holding a seal on the interior, you could try two flat silicone gaskets sandwiching the stainless washer.

That means it's been leaking into the insulation layer for a while and it finally let go of the liner. It was leaking mostly because that assembly of parts is not really a bulkhead. Liquid can go between all the parts avoiding the orings completely. One thing is for sure, you should never use a gasket on the outside of the cooler because if the inside seal fails, the external one could keep you from knowing that. Then the insulation layer fills up.

Back