10 Gal Orange Water Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louis

Reaction score
Here is my build of a cooler mash tun. All in all, not that different that others before me, but maybe this will help answer questions for others.

My build is very similar to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=23008

I'm located in Alberta, Canada and I had trouble finding a couple items that I was looking for initially.

Parts

Important Notes
  • Here, brass fittings are lead free unless you specifically buy ones that say they are not. I checked with a plumber friend. You will find some that don't specify on the package and some that say they are lead free.
  • I had to go to several hardware stores to find the brass I needed. Home Depot and Lowes were OK. Rona was better and the contractor outlets might help too.
  • Must use stainless steel, not copper, zinc, zinc coated, or other metal
  • I could not find the right size stainless steel fender washers locally or off of a supply website that were not over priced. I ordered mine from ebay. If you are concerned that you are getting what you ordered, let one soak in vinegar.
  • let a hose clamp soak in vinegar for a few days, while the clamp might be stainless steel, some of them contain a zinc-coated screw.
  • Custom Silicon Washers were made from a silicon baking sheet
  • Do not worry about the braided hose collapsing, it will still work if it did
  • Do not prop/reinforce the braided hose with wire - many people do but not with stainless steel and the wort will eat the wire eventually. (hmmm, yummy).
  • Transfer hose types. Pay attention to the type of hose you use for transferring the hot liqueur. Vinyl is not ideal for high temperatures. Silicon is a better choice I believe.

I'm not going to give step by step instructions at this point but rather I will post pictures and give notes on what I did.

20160813_232240_smcrp.png
The fender washer will not fit completely over the pipe nipple. I traced and cut out silicon washers to go over the pipe nipple, and between the cooler wall and fender washer. I used 4-5 silicon washers and after hand tightening - I had no leaks.

20160813_232249_smcrp.png
Here is the tighten down fittings inside the cooler

20160813_232256_smcrp.png
On the outside I only needed a single fender washer.

20160813_233541_smcrp.png
Rather than a hack saw, I used snips to remove the ends from the braided hose

20160813_234452_smcrp.png
Removal of the center hose is easier with two people. Think of a Chinese finger trap, while one person compresses the hose together, another can pull out the inner-hose. Then bend back the fraid ends.

20160813_234823_smcrp.png
Added the hose clamp and hex plug

20160813_235125_smcrp.png
Inserting end of needle nose pliers into the end of the braided hose, and opening them to stretch the end will help when adding the hex plug and putting the hose on the barbed fitting.

20160813_235411_smcrp.png
Everything attached inside

20160814_000550_smcrp.png
Finished!

I meant to figure that out! I think I am going to go figure that out. It was cheaper than buying this from the brew store. One of the local brew stores sells them for $164.95.

The most expensive item was the cooler which ran at $89 from home hardware. One could use a different cooler if needed.

The washers I got from ebay, 10 of them for $14. So I have extra.

I am considering building these for other people as well.

I just made mine as well. I live in North Carolina. 10 gallon cooler from Home Depot was $44. SS ball valve set with gaskets $52 from LHBS. False bottom with silicone tubing Amazon.com $32
Total $128

There's always conversation on HBT about brass is fine or should you always do SS. If I had used brass, I could have saved $20-$30 or so.

I just made mine as well. I live in North Carolina. 10 gallon cooler from Home Depot was $44. SS ball valve set with gaskets $52 from LHBS. False bottom with silicone tubing Amazon.com $32
Total $128

There's always conversation on HBT about brass is fine or should you always do SS. If I had used brass, I could have saved $20-$30 or so.

I agree - and it often comes down to the local regulations as well (ie - do you live in California or not :p ). I didn't find SS parts easily here, but giving that the brass was rated for drinking and lead free - I wasn't overly concerned. If I find a good source for SS components - I'll take advantage of them.

Back