hissing of fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryspa

Reaction score
we tried to make a kegerator out of a compact fridge with a freezer. we unscrewed the freezer and carefully folded it down...success, next we got a cutting bit and cut the top part (of metal freezer) in theory no piping, got about 1/2 to 3/4 done with that and we heard hissing. we used this fridge because we didn't care about it so if it is dead it is not a big deal. what i just want to know is about safety, how dangerous is what is hissing out. seems to be gaseous not liquid. we have it in garage with doors open on either end for a cross breeze till it subsides. is this right thing to do?

Sounds like you hit a coolant line. Probably not the most environmentally friendly thing that could happen... and your fridge is toasted. At this point its not gonna matter as long as you dont keep it in an enclosed space and breathe it.

i left it in garage with a door open on either side for cross breeze. anyone know how long it will be before it would be ok to shut doors. it has stopped hissing already.
thanks

terribly sorry to hear about your loss. but i was wondering what type of fridge you have because i have a mini fridge with a useless freezer and want to turn it into a kegerator and have to do the same thing.

i think it WAS a magic chef, not sure. i do not think we hit line...i was just inspecting it. it seems that it was the line in back leaked from being moved. does you fridge only cool by the freezer? if so am not sure it would be good for a kegerator. if it works out just be careful when bending back the coolant line... i know that you know this just didnt want same thing to happen to you. thanks for response!

drill the rest of the way through... look for a coolant line... plug it in and see if it gets cold! These things so make hissing gurgling sounds hours after they are turned off...

yeah im pretty sure it cools by the freezer unit, but i really just want it to cool kegs since i might need to use it for grad school later in the year. either way i think i might try to carefully move the freezer unit this summer. Just thought about this if you can locate the leak you might be able to solder it and fill the coolant again or find someone that could fill the coolant.

There is really no danger posed by the release of the relatively small amount of refrigerant that a compact fridge would contain. The refrigerant charge of a unit like that is measured in ounces. While not considered toxic, it's still not a good idea to breath it in. You did the right thing by ventilating the space.

There is a danger of the creation of phosgene gas if refrigerant is exposed to flame. Also, refrigerant is heavier than air, so in large quantities in a contained space it could displace the air and cause suffocation. With the small amount we are talking about here, neither of those scenarios is likely to occur.

As others have stated, the fridge it toast! FWIW, compact fridges w/freezers only have one evaporator. It's not likely that you would ever be able to bend the freezer section out of the way without breaking the line or at the very least kinking it to the point of rendering the unit inoperable.

tron said:
Just thought about this if you can locate the leak you might be able to solder it and fill the coolant again or find someone that could fill the coolant.

This repair would require specialized equipment and training. You can't just go in there and start soldering. The remaining refrigerant vapor in the system would need to be recovered. Yes, even though it leaked out there is still vapor present. Soldering with vapor still present would create a deadly gas called phosgene. It is similar to mustard gas in its effects! Chances are that this small system would not access fittings installed by the factory, so you would have to cut the tubing and install access fittings before any repairs could take place. System would then need to be silver brazed, not soft soldered. If the tubing is kinked it would need to be cut out and replaced. The system would need to be purged and pressure tested with nitrogen. Then the system would need to be evacuated with a vacuum pump into a deep vacuum and the proper unit charge weighed in with a sensitive scale.

As you can see, this is not a DIY project and the value of the firdge would be far exceeded if you called in a licensed service tech. I know because I am one and unless I was going to repair it for you as a favor it would not be worth it for you.

So what ended up happening? I did the same thing last night. I thought it went smoothly, I didn't kink or break the line, but it makes a barely audible hissing noise if you put your ear in the fridge. I ran it through the night last night and it's very cold this morning. I'm concerned, is there a chance I can find the leak to patch it before it loses too much?

Fridges often hiss as part of normal operation; it's the refrigerant boiling/evaporating. If you cut a line, it'd all happen at once (it's under pressure), and then never again.

Back