Hiring out work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
The pace of my life has recently picked up and I am no longer able to keep up with several demanding tasks that life has thrown at me. Realizing this, I decided that it was time to contract out some of the work that I do not have the time to do.

Since making this decision I have tried locating a lawn care company, excavating company, concrete guy among several others. Unfortunately, I keep on hitting a road block when dealing these guys.

I do my homework on whatever the task may be and call a dozen or so contractors to get estimates. If I am lucky 4 out of a dozen will call back and agree to look at the job. Out of these 4, one always shows up several hours later or even a day or 2 later - hes out.

This leaves three.

I find that 2 of the remaining are either uninsured, inexperienced, or just plain sleazy.

I am left with one contractor who I am happy with willing to give the job to. Suddenly he, doesn't show up, disappears, or flat out tells you that it may be several weeks because hes very busy.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong? What gives? Anyone else experience this?

As far as the last guy goes. Look at it this way I'd prefer someone who is good enough at his job to the point of his schedule being full from being in demand. If some one is available right away, why is nobody else giving him work to make his time immediately available ?

As far as the last guy goes. Look at it this way I'd prefer someone who is good enough at his job to the point of his schedule being full from being in demand. If some one is available right away, why is nobody else giving him work to make his time immediately available ?

I suppose that's the dilemma. Those who are undesirable are ready to start the job as soon as they write out a quote while the good ones are unable to keep up with their work.

My most recent issue began this time last month when I called 24 lawn care services in search of regular lawn mowing and trimming. Five returned my phone call and gave me a quote. Same thing.. 4 fly-by-night jokers, some sleazy, some without insurance, some unprofessional.

Then there was one that I was impressed with. He had a fleet of 30 vehicles and has been in business for 25 years. His price was middle of the road and fair.

We agreed to start service on the 14th of August. No one showed up on the 14th,15th,16th,17th,etc so I called.

I've been communicating with his "secretary" who said they will be out to cut it on the 20th which was yesterday. Once again, no one shows up so I will be calling once more in the morning.

Dammit... I'm so frustrated!

I've found the same thing around here. Example: I have post and tube wiring in my house. I wouldn't say I'm proficient at wiring but I can work with it. But I refuse to touch this stuff. I called about ten electricians to come and give me some kind of estimate. Maybe four showed up, and I only got two quotes. One of which was RIDICULOUSLY high. I'm guessing he didn't want to do the work. The last guy was within my price range but I had to wait almost a month. The guy is a licensed and insured master electrician but he does it as a side business. Any which way, I was disappointed that I really was only left with one choice, but it ended up working out for me in the end.

In other situations, I never did find people to do what I needed so instead of waiting, I searched the interwebz and learned how to do it myself. But it seems to happen a lot. If they don't want my money, then eff 'em.

I do all my own work, but trimming trees is not in my comfort zone. I've called numerous places and no one ever shows up, or they do a drive by and decide not to quote. I get offers to trim but when I ask if they have tree climbers they don't. It seems they all want to work out of a bucket lift. We had a storm crew show up one year, some "out of town crew" from the other side of the state that was called in to help clean up, and they were looking for extra work. I got a quote and asked when they could start. The guy said right now........ I barely turned my back and they were up in the tree and swinging and trimming. Amazing to watch. I wish I had gotten a receipt or card so I can call them again but it was a cash job.

They couldn't pay me enough to be so busy that I couldn't do my own house work. It's just too rewarding. I know this doesn't help you, but maybe it does. Lemmie know if you need someone to brew your beer...:D

That's unfortunate, you would think in this economy that honest, insured, reputable people would still be hungry for work. Although I have seen things take a dramatic swing up in terms of construction, my calender is full for over a year out from now.

OP how long have you been in this line of work? Usually you should have a well established list of trades that can serve you at the drop of a hat. I hate dealing with back alley companies that have total disregard for anything.

They probably look at you too. Thinking like man I came all the way out here and this guy is super critical. I'll just stick with the sweet old greatful ladies, but I'll leave this joker guessing just in case I get desperate...

They couldn't pay me enough to be so busy that I couldn't do my own house work. It's just too rewarding. I know this doesn't help you, but maybe it does. Lemmie know if you need someone to brew your beer...:D

The reason why I don't have the time is not due to being overworked, It's because the property is 650 miles away and I'm only there every couple of months.

As for assistance brewing... I like the sound of this. We drink, you brew. Sounds like a win-win to me.

OP how long have you been in this line of work? Usually you should have a well established list of trades that can serve you at the drop of a hat. I hate dealing with back alley companies that have total disregard for anything.

Its an investment property, not really my full time job.

Been on my own for just under 2 years now so I am fairly green.

I started this venture with the ultimate goal of finding a close circle of tradesmen who I could depend on at a moments notice.

Unfortunately, it has been more difficult that I could have ever imagined.

Like Kaedos said, you would think finding honest, insured and hard working contractors would be easy in this economy. I too thought the same but I guess I was wrong. There seems to be a shortage of skilled tradesmen with professional mannerisms.:confused:

Its an investment property, not really my full time job.

Been on my own for just under 2 years now so I am fairly green.

I started this venture with the ultimate goal of finding a close circle of tradesmen who I could depend on at a moments notice.

Unfortunately, it has been more difficult that I could have ever imagined.

Like Kaedos said, you would think finding honest, insured and hard working contractors would be easy in this economy. I too thought the same but I guess I was wrong. There seems to be a shortage of skilled tradesmen with professional mannerisms.:confused:

When you do find someone you like, ask who he knows. It seems to me that good tradesmen know other good tradesmen. Ask who they would pick to do work on their house.

When you do find someone you like, ask who he knows. It seems to me that good tradesmen know other good tradesmen. Ask who they would pick to do work on their house.

Solid advice. Will have to use whenever I find someone that is good.

Friends and family were pleased with the results. I like that unlike yelp, you need to pay for a sub, so the yahoos who pan or hype a business in exchange for $10 are greatly reduced.

I've been generally fortunate. Most people I've hired to do work were people I knew personally, or were referred by someone else. I've had generally good luck. I had one guy that installed an entry door that was a bit of a hack. And I had a lanscaping guy who did 2 jobs for me. The first was done on time and correctly. The second took 3 times to finally get him out to do the work and then it was passable, but not great.

The last contractor I hired that wasn't an acquaintance or referral was a window installer that I found on Angie's List. I probably would never have found him otherwise. He's probably the best guy I've ever hired to do a job. I've only used Angie's List once, and I was skeptical too, but it workd out well for me. It was worth the few bucks I spent on it.

Friends and family were pleased with the results. I like that unlike yelp, you need to pay for a sub, so the yahoos who pan or hype a business in exchange for $10 are greatly reduced.

A paid subscription helps fight off the fake reviews but there's always going to be dishonesty.

The NYT wrote an article about this issue a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Back