High temp fermenting mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
Well, it's starting to get into the 110's in Arizona and most A/C units can cool to about -30 degrees of what the outside temps are. So, when it starts hitting 120, the best I can hope inside is 90 degrees. So, is there a mead that will ferment well at that temp or should I take a break until the temps drop again in the fall?

Might be best to take a break until summer ends. I am baffled and it seems quite far-fetched that people live in 90F temps everywhere in Arizona. Why not keep the house at a lower temperature and not let it get to 90 in the first place? Or are you just referring to old construction homes with poor insulation, non-treated windows, and window unit a/c?

Might be best to take a break until summer ends. I am baffled and it seems quite far-fetched that people live in 90F temps everywhere in Arizona. Why not keep the house at a lower temperature and not let it get to 90 in the first place? Or are you just referring to old construction homes with poor insulation, non-treated windows, and window unit a/c?
The weather here is a bit different than it is in Gainsville. We've been getting triple digits starting in May with a humidity of around 1%. A/C units can't work efficiently in these condition as they work best by removing humidity from the air. Setting the thermostat lower won't change anything as the unit is already working 24/7. Getting a bigger unit may help a bit but will add to our electric bill a lot. We already have double pane windows and weather stripping on all the doors. It's right now 107 outside with a predicted high of 112 and inside it's 80. Our A/C started at 6 am and won't stop until after 9 pm if it goes off at all. It's been this way no matter what house we've lived in Arizona. That's life in Arizona during the summer.

It's also why I go on vacation at Lake Tahoe in July every year. :)

Well that sounds terrible. And a totally different experience than the two Arizona natives in my office, whom I asked. Maybe it’s because they lived in apartment buildings in Phoenix, and not houses?

Regardless, there has to be a wine yeast strain that can ferment in the 80-90F range. Good luck!

On a recent "The Mead House Podcast" they discussed using yeast from Omega Yeast Labs that can go up into the 90's. The yeasts they were talking about are for beer so using them in mead would be an experiment, but might be worth trying.

I just finished bottle a mixed berry melomel this last weekend and didn't notice any "jet fuel" flavors indicating high temp fermentation. I have the carboy's in the back bedroom where it's a bit cooler in the summer. So, we'll just have to see if my luck lasts.

I'm experimenting with a tequila yeast, Fermentis Safteq Blue. I think agave and honey have similar fermenting properties

Its recommended fermenting temperature is 89 degrees, alcohol tolerance about 12%.

Just a thought

You can also setup a swamp cooler. Basically, you wrap your carboy in a wet towel and place it in a tub of ice water. Switch out ice packs daily.

Check out episode 87 at The Mead House. We had Omega Yeast on as a guest, brew with a high temp yeast if you live in a hot area and can't control your fermentation temps. Themeadhouse.com

You can also setup a swamp cooler. Basically, you wrap your carboy in a wet towel and place it in a tub of ice water. Switch out ice packs daily.
With the low humidity a whole house swamp cooler would work very well and be way cheaper than a c.

Back