High Sierra (Sierra Nevada) Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
All-Grain - High Sierra (Sierra Nevada) Pale Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: YES
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.4
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 49
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 7.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Tasting Notes: FWH'd giving a nice ROUND hop flavor and bitterness, Sierra Clone

High Sierra Pale Ale (Sierra Nevada)
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.50 gallons US
OG 1.052
IBU 45.6
Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.40 gallons US
FG 1.011
SRM 7.4
Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast WLP001California Ale Yeast:
ABV 5.3 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons Attenuation 78.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 154 F Mash in with 3.1 gallons US of water at 168.4 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.9 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.5 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 60L 10 oz 5.7 % 1.034/lb/gal 60 Mash
American Two-Row 10.25 lb 94.3 % 1.037/lb/gal 1.8 Mash
Totals: 10.88 pounds 100% 1.052 7.4

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 FWH 90
Yakima Magmum 0.18 oz Leaf 14.2 Boil 90
Perle 0.5 oz Leaf 8.2 Boil 90
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.2 Boil 15
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 Dry 0
Totals: 3.2 ounces 45.6 IBU

Carbonation
CO2 Volume Presure Serving Temp
2.5 11.25 psi 38.0F

I was drinking and looking at the unanswered threads. Pol, you my friend get the medal for the most viewed thread and never a post. There was like 535 views on this thread, and not a single reply (until now). So I give you the “Unanswered Thread Award”...... And then have to take it away because it's no longer in the unanswered threads area :cross:LOL

Are you serious? You jerk! :D I was #1 at something, and you stole that from me!

Pol-
I too have been looking at this recipe for some time now, but didn't want to be the male reproductive organ (Jaybird) who replied and screwed up your streak.

So how is this beer? How many times have you made it?

Pol-
I too have been looking at this recipe for some time now, but didn't want to be the male reproductive organ (Jaybird) who replied and screwed up your streak.

So how is this beer? How many times have you made it?

Jbird is pissy because he is not scrubby worthy! Jerk!... anyway I have brewed it once, it was really good, great in fact... but I have to admit that I have NEVER had Sierra Nevada... Can you beleive that?

Jbird is pissy because he is not scrubby worthy!

Maybe..... Maybe true..... But I did rob you of your streak LOL LOL ha ha ha ha ha haha ahahahahahahahahahha!!!!!! And I can "ALWAYS" become Scrubby worthy!!!!! But I think your days of a run like that is OVER!!!!hahahahahahahaha:D

But, I DID achieve a 15% increase in eff. today... 85%... so I am still on cloud nine!

Some experts say nothing, but I will be able to tell ya in a few weeks!

The thin mash... attenuation was 73%... the same as when I brewed the same beer with a 1.25qt/lb mash... I didnt see a difference.

Is this your recipe or were you working off of someone else's. I'm interested in brewing it but I imagine it'd be hard to make an accurate clone of a beer you've never tasted lol. Keep us updated.

Is this your recipe or were you working off of someone else's. I'm interested in brewing it but I imagine it'd be hard to make an accurate clone of a beer you've never tasted lol. Keep us updated.

Working off another recipe... I dont make clones, I just brew them....

So have you tasted this. I just tasted SN Pale Ale today. I have never tasted it before cuz , well , I dont care for hops, but if there are folks out there like me ,SN pale ale will surely change their mind. I dont taste any bitterness what so ever. This stuff is good.

I am realy amazed at the floral citrus taste of the hops and no bitterness. Can I count on your recipe as being a clone? or atleast in terms of bitterness , or lack there of.:mug:

So I made something similar to this recipe. What is the benefit to keeping the beer in the primary for two weeks as it has finished fermenting after about 5 days.

So I made something similar to this recipe. What is the benefit to keeping the beer in the primary for two weeks as it has finished fermenting after about 5 days.

Keeping the beer on the yeast cake, helps the yeast to clean up fermentation byproducts that you would prefer not make it into your finished beer. I always primary for 2 weeks... always. Primary isnt just about fermenting, making alcohol, it is a whole process in itself.

I believe I saw Magnum hops in the recipe as a 90 min boil.

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 FWH 90
Yakima Magmum 0.18 oz Leaf 14.2 Boil 90
Perle 0.5 oz Leaf 8.2 Boil 90
Cascade 1 oz Leaf 7.2 Boil 15
Cascade 0.75 oz Leaf 7.2 Dry 0
Totals: 3.2 ounces 45.6 IBU

I just brewed a variation of this today. Can't wait! :D

Hello All,

I plugged this into Beersmith and got an IBU of 55.1. A couple questions:

1. Are the numbers for the hops correct?

2. If so, what sort of hop utilization value was used?

3. Why does the hop section of the recipe show an IBU of 45.6 yet the top of the recipe shows an IBU of 49?

Thanks,
Bryan

Hello All,

I plugged this into Beersmith and got an IBU of 55.1. A couple questions:

1. Are the numbers for the hops correct?

2. If so, what sort of hop utilization value was used?

3. Why does the hop section of the recipe show an IBU of 45.6 yet the top of the recipe shows an IBU of 49?

Thanks,
Bryan

I've read that a human cannot percieve bitterness within 5-15 IBU's. Besides, IBU's are only an estimate at best of the real bitterness that hops add to a beer.
The hops could have had similar overall alpha acid levels but lead to a very different taste in the finished beer. Bitterness can very widely depending on the difference in Humulone and Coumulone levels. A beer made with hops high in Cohumulone will be more bitter than the IBU's might suggest.

The only way to get an accurate measurement of IBU's is to get a lab test, which is unnecessary for most home brewers.

In conclusion, there is probably no noticeable difference between 45.6 IBU's and 55.1. But if you are worried a beer might be too bitter, leave out a few grams of bittering hops.

Good Afternoon I have a question I am fairly new to home brewing and was going to attempt this recipe because I absolutely love Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When you complete your fermentation process and are ready to bottle do the bottles need to be primed for more carbonation or to reactivate the yeast? I know this may seem like a dumb question but sometimes the simple things can be the most tragic especially when it comes to brewing amber yumminess..

Thanks a ton..

Malach, yes you need to add sugar to the beer before you bottle it.
1. Siphon the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket leaving the yeast behind in the fermenter.
2. Add sugar to the bottling bucket and gently stir being careful to not splash when stirring.
3. Bottle beer.

Use this calculator to determine the amount of sugar that needs to be added.
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Anyone taste this? Still interested to see if its close to original.

Tried twice, and missed it with recipes with simpler hop list....

Cheers!

I just bottled it out Sunday. I'll give you a follow up in a few weeks. The flat sample tasted pretty close though.

I've got this in the fermenter for about 2 1/2 weeks now, I sampled my gravity reading after 1 week and there was something seriously wrong with it. It was my first AG brew. The wort tasted fine, but there was some serious phenol/bitterness in my sample that really discouraged me about the beer. I'm really hoping that goes away here pretty quick cause I'd love to have this in my new kegging system for the summer.

I've got this in the fermenter for about 2 1/2 weeks now, I sampled my gravity reading after 1 week and there was something seriously wrong with it. It was my first AG brew. The wort tasted fine, but there was some serious phenol/bitterness in my sample that really discouraged me about the beer. I'm really hoping that goes away here pretty quick cause I'd love to have this in my new kegging system for the summer.

After another sample, that flavor seems to have gone away. My recipe was slightly different. I only did a 60 minute boil. 10 lb 2-row and .75 lb of crystal 60. I ended up with a little less wort, but my efficiency was also a little low, so it actually came out right on gravity. My pre-carbed and pre-dryhopped sample seemed to have a little more hop bitterness than Sierra Nevada, but that may be due to my water. Excited about my first AG!!

It's been about 4 weeks in bottles. The taste is not quite SN, but it is pretty good. It actually has a little off taste. Not a bad taste, just kinda like a different style. It is not a crisp as SN, for lack of a better word. I think it may still be a little green.

Next time, I'll probably dry hop it a little. I'm more of an IPA person, but I wanted to see what the baseline recipe was like.

Back