High Pressure Gague Damaged, okay to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
The portable kegging kit I just ordered (5# tank, regulator with high pressure gague, and picnic tap) arrived yesterday.

The high pressure gague looks damaged to me. The disc with the markings is bent back. The housing seems fine and the lens on the front isn't damaged. Just looked like it somehow got messed up during manufacture and slipped by quality control. The online vendor (a sponsor here) is sending a new gague for me to swap out, which is great.

My question is can I go ahead and use this regulator with the seemingly damaged high pressure gague on it? Or should I sit tight and wait for the new one to arrive?

My fridge isn't yet rewired up (old 1950's fridge), but it I can get a friend to help do that this weekend, I have a keg I want to start chilling and carbing. So I'd like to get a jump on that.

I guess, at the very least, I should find a place to get the bottle filled with Co2 somewhere near here.

It will likely work just fine. The only potential issue would be a leak from the gauge, but that's unlikely and if there is a leak it should be easy to detect. If it does leak from the gauge and you want to use it right away, just take the gauge off and put a plug in the hole until the new gauge arrives. The high pressure gauge is mostly useless anyway. If it's left hand thread a plug might be expensive/tough to source locally though.

Your fine. Mine came with the high pressure flap bent forward. Needle is stuck at 50 or so. Weigh your bottle (Full) when you get it and the bottle should have the weight of it when empty. That will give you an idea as to how much co2 u have left.

Back