High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
Just put my third batch in the fermenter and the OG seems a bit high. It measured 1.094. Seems a bit high but, I think it might be because there's a lot of sugar. Besides the extract, lme and grains there is a pound and a half of strawberries cooked down with some some sugar. Hope I didn't over do it on the sugar. Tell me what you think. Also, what does everyone think the fg and abv will be. Can't wait to find out myself.
Thx

Just put my third batch in the fermenter and the OG seems a bit high. It measured 1.094. Seems a bit high but, I think it might be because there's a lot of sugar. Besides the extract, lme and grains there is a pound and a half of strawberries cooked down with some some sugar. Hope I didn't over do it on the sugar. Tell me what you think. Also, what does everyone think the fg and abv will be. Can't wait to find out myself.
Thx

You are going to have to provide A LOT more information for anyone to estimate FG/ABV. Look up calculators, plug in the info., and you should be able to figure out pretty easily.

Whatcha making?

If you want a guess for FG/ABV, we'll need a more detailed recipe. Amounts of specific kinds of grains, extract, and adjuncts (strawberries in this case) along with the yeast.

The original recipe came from Mr. Beer and I got the ingredients from my LHBS.

Here's the recipe:
1 can American porter extract
1 pnd dry lme
1 1/2 pnd cooked strawberries in a simple syrup (addition to the original recipe)
1 oz US brewers gold hops
1 pnd german dark malt grains (addition to the original recipe)
2 oz each of chocolate malt, munich malt, crystal malt.
1/2 oz chocolate nibs soaking in about four oz Jim Beam
One package of US05 yeast
heated 5 qt water to 170 deg and steeped grains and malts for 30 min kept temp between 155 and 165
brought wort to rolling boil for 30 min and added hops with 5 min left in boil
removed from heat and added extract and lme
cooled wort to 70 deg and pitched yeast
added mixture to fermenter with strawberries
Will add nibs with bourbon after 5 days of fermentation.
Will bottle after 3 weeks in primary

You are going to have to provide A LOT more information for anyone to estimate FG/ABV. Look up calculators, plug in the info., and you should be able to figure out pretty easily.

Whatcha making?
Posted the recipe

If you want a guess for FG/ABV, we'll need a more detailed recipe. Amounts of specific kinds of grains, extract, and adjuncts (strawberries in this case) along with the yeast.
Posted the recipe

Seems about right as I pulled 1.066 on a recipe with 6oz malt and 1lb of grain with approximately 300g of additional sugars through the chocolate that I put in.

I've not brewed an extract brewed - is there bittering hops already in the extract?

If it was all grain - I'd have put 1oz or two in at 60 on the boil with that kind of wort

I've not brewed an extract brewed - is there bittering hops already in the extract?

If it was all grain - I'd have put 1oz or two in at 60 on the boil with that kind of wort
Not sure if there were bittering hops in the extract. The recipe called for the hops so I'm assuming there were none in it.

Whatcha making?
Making a porter.
Thought I'd need the FG to calculate the ABV

The original recipe came from Mr. Beer and I got the ingredients from my LHBS.

Here's the recipe:
1 can American porter extract
1 pnd dry lme
1 1/2 pnd cooked strawberries in a simple syrup (addition to the original recipe)
1 oz US brewers gold hops
1 pnd german dark malt grains (addition to the original recipe)
2 oz each of chocolate malt, munich malt, crystal malt.
1/2 oz chocolate nibs soaking in about four oz Jim Beam
One package of US05 yeast
heated 5 qt water to 170 deg and steeped grains and malts for 30 min kept temp between 155 and 165
brought wort to rolling boil for 30 min and added hops with 5 min left in boil
removed from heat and added extract and lme
cooled wort to 70 deg and pitched yeast
added mixture to fermenter with strawberries
Will add nibs with bourbon after 5 days of fermentation.
Will bottle after 3 weeks in primary
Is this a recipe that you modified? What volume were you going for?
Also I think the can of American Porter Extract..if its the Mr. Beer version; does indeed have hops in it.

Is this a recipe that you modified? What volume were you going for?
Also I think the can of American Porter Extract..if its the Mr. Beer version; does indeed have hops in it.
I was going for two gallons.
The original Mr. Beer recipe does call for additional hops. So, I'm not sure if their extract has hops in it.

Back