High OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

I made slims lemon lime hefeweizen yesterday but got an OG of 1.060. Beersmith was telling me I should get 1.058 and the recipe in the database was saying I believe. 51 or. 58. Should I top this off with some water to lower my OG after I put in the simply limeade or just leave it and enjoy getting wasted off of this depending how much it ferments lol

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

You are fine...That little bit of a difference is nearly negligible. According to my calculations its only a difference of a third of a percent of alcohol in the end. If you prefer to have more to drink, give it a little top off water. If you prefer to drink a bit of a more flavorful brew, go ahead and leave it alone.

Cheers!

.002 difference is not going to change anything that you'll notice. The possibilities of something going wrong from topping off far exceed the difference you have here. For a five gallon batch this would be about 2 cups--not worth the bother.

The recipe in the database on the site shows 1.051 but when I transferred the grain profile over to beersmith I was getting 1.58 I'm thinking it might be that I wrote it down as a 5.5 gallon recipe when it's a 6 but it's the limeade that is taking it up to 6. Who knows! See how she turns out. The most violent fermentation I've ever had. My apartment smells of beer yeast haha. I was worried I had a blow off.

The recipe in the database on the site shows 1.051 but when I transferred the grain profile over to beersmith I was getting 1.58 I'm thinking it might be that I wrote it down as a 5.5 gallon recipe when it's a 6 but it's the limeade that is taking it up to 6. Who knows! See how she turns out. The most violent fermentation I've ever had. My apartment smells of beer yeast haha. I was worried I had a blow off.

The recipe Could have been written for a different mash efficiency than you have your app set for also. Which would give you different gravity's

Sent from somewhere to someone

I always consider it a blessing from the Beer Gods when my gravity comes out higher than expected. All points made are good ones - difference is negligible, your water volume might be a bit different, or your efficiency might be a bit different.

The bigger point I want to make is that many brewers recommend adding simple sugars (limeaid) a couple days into your fermentation. The reason is that the yeast will get acclimated consuming more complex sugars before they gorge on the simple sugars. This early gorging by the yeast can potentially inhibit full attenuation, but more often it causes ester production that can impact beer flavor (possibly for the good, depending on your taste ... just understand its another variable that you can play with).

Latest posts

Back