high OG screw-up/can it be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelero

Reaction score
so I totally screwed the pooch because of a typo in jamil's book. in his dunkelweizen, he has 2.2lb munich lme and in parenthesis (3.08K). yeah, so long story short, I was just copying down the metric measurements, and I put in probably about 2K more LME than I should've. gave me an OG of 1.092 instead of about 1.056-1.060. so now the beer's gonna be at about 9%abv instead of 5 and change. can I save this beer? if so, how? blending? or just call it a weizenbock. right now I'm calling it my doofus-weizen.

oh, and I'm not trying to pin this on the typo.It was totally my mistake. I should have looked at the recipe closer. lesson learned!

I'm for calling it a weizenbock. No use diluting it. My only concern would be how much yeast you pitched. If you pitched enough for a smaller beer, it proably won't be enough to do a good job on the higher gravity.

How can I tell if I need to pitch more yeast? I used a wyeast activator, but I only have the one. Could I use a pack of the danstar munich(re-hydrated)? What would happen if I just left it? would it turn out too heavy?

for a gravity that high i would pitch about 4 or 5 packets.... if my mental math is right. for a wart that high you should use somewhere around 300 - 350 billion yeast cells. a packet of dry yeast typically has between 40 and 70 billion cells.

if you just left it i would be afraid of getting off flavors or the fermentation taking way to long.

so does my original wyeast count as one, and I just pitch 2 more packets? I'm not sure how to use the calculator

yea, thats right. You are supposed to use the calculator to find your original pitching rate. You are just doing it a little backwards.

Thanks so much! So I should re-hydrate and when they're cooled down close to wort temp then pitch 'em straight into the carboy? should I be ready to re-affix the blowoff tube? and will they "get along," the wyeast and the danstar munich? or will the result be weird?

One more thing. This beer will take more time for everything. Longer primary, longer secondary (if you use one), and longer bottle conditioning. Don't plan on drinking this beer in 6 weeks.

OK, so I ignored everyone's advice, as I was out of town for awhile. I came back, got the jitters about adding more yeast so late, and just bottled it. stupid, I know. of course the beer never carbed. it tastes nice though, a little overly sweet for sure. is there still a way I can save this beer? could I empty all the beer into my bucket and re-bottle the beer with the re-hydrated yeast I like I should have done in the first place a couple of months ago while it was still in primary? I just don't want to dump 50 bottles. I'm sorry for not following the advice, my noobness continues to haunt me. i got freaked out and I wasn't around to do anything at the time! thanks,
c

Did you happen to take a FG reading? If so, and it was an acceptable number, what I'd do now is simply open a package of dry yeast, open all of the bottles and put just a grain or two into each bottle and recap. (I had to do that once myself, when my yeast was all pooped out).

If you don't have a low enough FG reading, I wouldn't do that, though. You might get bottle bombs if the beer finishes in the bottle. If the FG is too high, you'll have to put it back into a fermenter but try not to splash it at all. You'd have to build up a big starter, since you've got a high alcohol environment, and then try to get it to finish.

It really depends on the FG reading you have.

thanks yooperbrew! my og was 1.093 and my fg was 1.028. beersmith had them estimated at 1.091/1.021

you think thats low enough to pitch directly into the bottles? or should I dump them back into a fermenter?

you think thats low enough to pitch directly into the bottles? or should I dump them back into a fermenter?

Well, I just don't know to be honest. You've got only 68% attenuation, but 8.5% ABV. I'd be afraid that some nottingham yeast might cause overcarbonation, IF it can handle being put into 8.5% liquid. but pouring it into a fermentor at this stage will probably oxidize it and ruin it.

I guess I'd try the dry yeast into the bottles, or at least a couple of bottles, and see if that worked before doing the whole batch. The dry yeast can be tightly closed and stored for a week or two in the fridge, while you wait and see if it might work and not cause bottle bombs.

probably around 68-70F. it's been cool here lately, but wasn't that cool in december when I bottled

Sorry to restart a dying thread but I found this one by searching for an answer to my question :)
I recently brewed a Chimay Grand Reserve clone w/ a high gravity like the OP (Sunday 11/21). Mine's at 1.093. Well I pitched 1 vial of White Labs Trappist Ale yeast and afterwards read up on high gravity brews and the need for double pitching.
Should I leave it as it is and check the gravity after 2 weeks or should I pitch a second vial as soon as possible which would be Black Friday? I'm concerned about the yeast not being able to handle the 9 - 10% ABV this beer is supposed to be.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Prosit!

Back