High Levels of Late & Dry Hopped Citra/Eureka/Galaxy = Cat Urine + BO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJTroz

Palm Harbor Brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me just be clear that I LOVE Citra but something went out of whack.

I made an IPA which I used the highest amount of Citra yet. It was a 5g batch, Citra/Eureka/Galaxy @ 3.5/1/.5 oz whirlpooled, then 4/1.5/.5 dry hopped. It was dry hopped for 4 days and kegged on 9/26 (about 3 weeks ago). I just poured the first glass today and thought my beard was going to shrivel up. I have read more times than not that Simcoe/Citra at high levels can be associated to cat urine, but have never experienced it myself. We have 2 cats and I clean the pans every other day so it's a smell way too common to me. However, this is a mix of cat urine and BO. Cat urine is very ammonia-like. This is like locker room BO with some feline buffer.

Any thoughts? I know 7.5oz of Citra is high by itself, not to mention the additional 3.5oz of Eureka and Galaxy but this was supposed to come out smelling fruity, surely not like swamp a$$. The Citra was a 2016 lot, the Eureka and Galaxy, I'm not sure but possibly 2015/2016.

I've used hella amounts of Citra over the last few years and this year I've brewed 20 gallons of a single-hop Galaxy pale. My sons and I love both strains.

Otoh, I have zero experience with Eureka. Nor do I have any experience with gone-bad hops. So I'd be inclined to finger one or the other or both :D

Cheers!

That's been my experience as well. But, I'm thinking it's me. After pouring a glass each day since Monday and the smell not changing, I finally had my wife (who has a nose like a bloodhound) and both of my kids each smell it without telling them my thoughts. My youngest son said oranges, my oldest son said citrus, and my wife said grapefruit. After they said this, I became dumbfounded why I'm smelling something completely different and unpleasant. Having hears each of them immediately get citrus-forward notes, it has to be me.

I hate to say it, but it could be you. Just recently I picked up a 6 pack of Founders Green Zebra Gose. I loved it, thought it was pretty good. My wife, said it tasted like a "vurp". You know, where you burp and vomit a little in your mouth? That stomach acid, bile taste that you get, she said it tasted like that whereas I thought it tasted good! Everyone's palate and nose is different.

That's been my experience as well. But, I'm thinking it's me. After pouring a glass each day since Monday and the smell not changing, I finally had my wife (who has a nose like a bloodhound) and both of my kids each smell it without telling them my thoughts. My youngest son said oranges, my oldest son said citrus, and my wife said grapefruit. After they said this, I became dumbfounded why I'm smelling something completely different and unpleasant. Having hears each of them immediately get citrus-forward notes, it has to be me.

I'm this way with Mosaic. I can't drink a beer with a lot of that hop because it tastes and smells like butter/cat urine to me. No idea why.

Latest posts

Back