High krausen and blow off issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi
I just brewed my weizen yesterday and had just at 5.25 gallons into my 6.5 gallon carboy. Set my airlock and let it go. This morning there was some krausen and airlock activity. During the day I hot a text message that my beer wad "boiling over" and beer was flowing out of it, I told them to put a towel under the carboy.

When I got home, my carboy was full of krausen, a giant sticky mess over the carboy and my carpet(I keep my carboy in my walk in closet away from my 3 and 4 year old girls). The air lock was off and laying on the floor. I sanitized it and filled it immediately with vodka and replaced it.

Any thoughts on the possibility of contamination from being left open?

I have never had this problem before but this is my first time using wyeast 3068 weihenstephan weizen yeast. I think in the future I will use a blow off tube set up for primary.

By the way, SWMBO is pissed. The walk in closet smells like beer. Shes afraid her clothes will smell like she slept in a bar and just came in from an all night binge.

Thanks

No, everything was working it's way out. Chances of anything getting in during that time are slim to none.

By the way, SWMBO is pissed. The walk in closet smells like beer. Shes afraid her clothes will smell like she slept in a bar and just came in from an all night binge.

Well, I am sure you know what to do. I like watermelon flavor myself. Not as sweet as the cherry. Enjoy your night!

Well tonight I may be sleeping in the closet with my fermentor. Would it be a bad idea to tell her I would prefer the soothing sound of my bubbling airlock over her snoring?

:ban:

HAHA!

If you're gonna go down might as well go big!
Actually my primary just blew out this morning.
I'm going to go with a blow-off tube setup from now on i think, at least have it ready to go in case things go south again...

My first blow off was this afternoon, airlock was spitting brown foam out onto the insides of the cardboard box I use as a 'fermentation chamber' in my basement. Laughing ass off at your SWMBO story. Glad my blowoff was not in a carpeted closet! It's going on 2 AM and I'm stuck at work, funny story (for me anyway), made my night go faster!

You know, this just happened to me. I racked my American Wheat from the primary bucket to the secondary glass carboy yesterday. I did notice, when I pitched the yeast, (Nottingham Ale) last week, it took off in about 5 hours.
I did add yeast nutrient and energizer to the wert before I pitched. During fermentation there was a little crud coming in the airlock. When I took the bucket lid off, there was krausen (sp) crud all up the sides and on the lid inside.
I bet it the lid wasn't so tight, (this is my second primary bucket, the lid is way harder to get off than my other) it would of blown the lid off. During fermentation the air lock was bubbling like boiling water. I had to put new water in everyday. It looked like the lid was slightly bowed up, but I thought, it was just the way it was. But after primary fermentation ended, the lid was flat.
This was my easy breezy American Wheat I talked about in the recipe thread.

I always use a tube but why not put the carboy or bucket in one of those big plastic tubs? I think its funny every time I read about somebody having a mess all over their carpet or floor.

Back