High Iron Levels on Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
So I went to check for an updated water quality report to keep my Brun Water up to date and noticed that the Iron level seems high. I then went to plug the numbers into Brun Water and it came up with this message: "Water Report is Unbalanced. Cation and Anion totals should be within .5 meq/L of eachother"

When I adjust the Iron down to 3, as opposed to the 13 that the report is showing, the message does not pop up. So it's definitely the Iron throwing things out of whack.

Is this something to be alarmed about or is this level of Iron really nothing to worry about? Am I reading the report accurately? See the link below for my local water report (Chicago):

http://www.cityofchicago.org/conten...rQltyResultsNRpts/ccReports/CCA_2015_1-2Q.pdf

I think you're looking at 0.013 mg/l (ppm) as opposed to 13 µg/l (ppb). Additionally, I'm assuming your North Distribution which would be 12.1 µg/l (i.e. 0.0121 mg/l).

Edit: I see it now, Central Distribution 2nd quarter. Still 0.0131 mg/l (ppm) would be your value which is negligible for brewing purposes.

Looks like great water for brewing!

Latest posts

Back