High Gravity yeast experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
Just an fyi. With OG's of 1080-82, I use just ONE vial of White Labs yeast, with FG's around 1016. No need to mess with starters like all the books say.

I think the key is aereration. My "secret" is using one of those cylindrical paint mixers on my cordless drill. So easy to whip up the wort to a froth! 16-20 hours lag time.

With most of the starters I've made I usually have around 4-6 hour lag time. I brew a lot of tripels and higher gravity Belgian strong beers. Yeast count does matter. As we always tell everyone on here. Do what works for you, and I agree aeration is a big factor as well.

beerloaf

Sure one pack or vial will likely ferment out your beer. When I use 3787 with a 4 qt starter, lag times are in the 5-6 hour range and it ferments down to 1.006-1.008.

I'm not knocking your method, but try one with a starter. Or better yet, split one brew into 2 carboys. Pitch half a vial into one. And make a 2 quart starter about a week in advance. Pitch that into the second carboy. Then you'd have a great comparison.

As long as I hit my target FG's I won't bother with starters. I will make a tripel soon. Then I'll splurge another $6.50 for 2 vials. For me, not messing with starters makes brewing a better experience.

If I ever go beyond 5 gal batches, that's a different story...

Remember it's not only about attenuation, it's about flavor. Pitching enough active yeast is critical to making great beer, instead of just good homebrew.

If the yeast has to struggle or has a long lag-time it will likely have a negative impact on the beer. I'm not saying your beer isn't good. I'm just repeating what I read in the "Yeast" book and I noticed a huge improvement in flavor on my beers once I started using adequate starters and aerating with oxygen.

I also had a huge improvement in my beers when I started making starters. I always recommend making a starter to any brewer I encounter. With that said, do what works for you because in the end it is your beer and the most important thing is RDWHAHB.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Most of the beers I make are 1.060-1.100 OG. I aerate with pure oxygen via a stone and I pitch per Mr. Malty rates.

I have had great results with these methods and I had less predictable results prior to adhering to these methods.

As others have said, if you underpitch, you can occasionally make good beer. But you will get more consistent and likely better flavor results if you pitch at recommended rates. I know I have.

rexbanner said:
Nope. Chuck Testa

This.

I don't really understand the point of this thread, outside of the obvious "I want someone to argue with me over my method."

To that, the response would be, "OK, buddy."

My initial comment probably belongs in a "random thoughts" forum. You're right, everybody has their own method.

I Remember back in the day when you weren't a man if you didn't ALWAYS do a secondary fermentation. We know now not to bother unless you're adding flavors or hops

Back