high gravity rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_sloth

Reaction score
was looking for some suggestions....

brewed the highest yet, 1.088. i now am considering storing over winter and finishing this batch for spring? Maybe racking into a barrel? How long should I store this batch with a gravity so high?

any suggetsions would be helpful, thanks

I usually let beers that big sit for six months or so. I tried to sneak a sample of my 1.084 wee heavy after 2.5 months and that was a mistake - uncarbed, green, and just ...too early. Either bottle or put it in a secondary, put it aside, forget about it for a while and it'll be awesome in the spring.

I want to hear about this big Rye beer. I make a roggen with 60+% rye malt and have learned how to avoid stuck sparge but it is nowhere close to 1088. Are you brewing a rogen or just another styl;e with some rye in it?

brewed the highest yet, 1.088. i now am considering storing over winter and finishing this batch for spring? Maybe racking into a barrel? How long should I store this batch with a gravity so high?

depends on a couple things (style, bitterness, complexity, fermentation, etc). id say at least 6 weeks

transferred from primary to secondary today, took gravity reading, it is 1.024. this means i am at 8.5% in two weeks. does that sound right? i am using my hydrometer correctly? seems very fast to be at that gravity. it certainly had a strong alcohol smell....

beer calculus estimates it at 7.6%, an ibu of 75.5 and 12° SRM. is this an accurate calculator?

the color is spot on for the calulator but as it is a secondary at this point i am not sure about the other two measurements.

@badhabit...

it is roughly 33% rye, and i was forced to use grain this time as opposed to the flake i would rather use. i have affectionately named this brew "punch you in the rye p.a" it also consists of 2-row, and crystal malt and n.w gold pme. & 5oz of various high a.a.hops.

I make an Imperial RyePA starting at 1.085 that's pretty good after about six to eight weeks, though I also use a fair amount of white sugar, which speeds things up.

Back