High Gravity Goals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balazs

Reaction score
I am an extract brewer and have been trying to achieve a +9% beer for a couple batches. The batches always end up coming out right around 8% when they should have been around 9%. I've done a barley wine a tripple abbey and most recent an imperial chocolate stout. Based on my final gravity for these batches, I thought that my fermentation was not finishing through. After more research and advice, I have been learning more about un-fermentable sugars in extract and specialty malts and believe this is the reason I am not reaching my goal.

If anyone has some advice about either adding table sugar to my batches or maybe adding more extract to my batches to achieve the higher alchohol percentage please let me know. Does table sugar taint the mouthfeel and turnout of the beer? I've read that adding sugar along with the extract can compensate for the unfermentable sugars in malt extract. Is this true? The original gravity of my batches have been between 1082-1092 and I still achieve around an 8% beer. Can someone tell me what I need to do. My homebrew store has not been much of a help on this topic. Thank you!

Substitute a pound of dextrose, candi sugar or cane sugar for a pound of extract. Keep it under 10% of the total and it will just dry the finish out slightly.

Back