High Gravity Ale Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kontreren

Gluten Free Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first double IPA high gravity kit says ready in 3 months. What should I expect for each phase? Should I expect 4 weeks in primary, 4 in secondary, and 4 in bottle? Or is there a better generalization? How long in each phase would be considered "normal" (or the least abnormal :) )? Should I bottle on schedule w/ a normal brew and let it sit longer in bottle? All advice from experienced double IPA high gravity brewers is needed and welcome.

I'd check the gravity every week or so in the primary, then move it to secondary for a while to let it clear, then bottle it for a month or so.

I've never made an IIPA, nor a 'big' beer, though...

I just brewed what I am calling a double IPA. I just kind of winged it though (with the help of Beersmith) and didn't ask questions before doing it. I did that purposely because I wanted this to be my own experiment and recipe without anyone's influence or cause for me to second guess or make changes. My sample at bottling time tasted real good so we'll see.
I got an OG of 1.088 kept it in primary for 3 weeks. FG was 1.022 and now its been bottled for a week. I'll taste it at 4 weeks. IBU's=94. ABV 8.35% (or was it 8.74...I forget)

I suppose that longer fermentation may have been beneficial but then again my hydrometer reading said it was done (IMO). Maybe longer bottle conditioning will help...I'll see at four weeks. Maybe secondary next time? Beersmith suggested 4 days in Primary and 4 weeks in bottles so who knows.

I guess in your case 3 months won't hurt. What is the OG?

Like you I'm doing my first heavy beer a Barley Wine. Well I've read on one of the posts that to up the alcohol content you can re-pitch a white wine yeast when you rack to a secondary.

Call me crazy but I'm really considering going that extra step.

I hope the barely wine doesn't turn out undrinkable, other wise i might have to take the whole batch down to the park and give it away to the local homeless population.
:drunk:

What is the OG?

I measured it at 1.090 but the box says it should be 1.083 (I think??? :drunk:). I believe mine is a little higher because I mistakenly put in extra hops in the fermeter that were meant to be put in the secondary (called it a dry hop). I'll toss in another pack of hop pellets when I transfer to secondary so I'm a little closer to following the original directions.

can re-pitch a white wine yeast when you rack to a secondary...I hope the barely wine doesn't turn out undrinkable...
:drunk:

I wonder what kind of yeast I could pitch for a double IPA? Would white wine yeast be good for that as well? The kit I used didn't call for extra yeast but I like the thought of upping that alcohol content. That's why I made a high gravity beer to start. ...If it turns out undrinkable you could always reflux the alcohol out and pour it in the next drinkable batch and get your content higher in the process. Knocking out two birds as it were. :D

I don't think hops would raise your OG. More malt or fermentables would. That would also raise the ABV. But with an OG of 1.090 you may be looking at an over 9% ABV anyway.

I used Wyeast American 1056

Pitch LOTS of yeast, and it will condition fairly quickly. For a double IPA I would pitch 2 packages of US-05 or a gallon starter of WY1056, ferment in the upper 60's *F, primary three weeks, secondary for two to dry hop the snot out of it, and bottle condition for four weeks.

It isn't a barleywine, so it won't get better with age, you want the hop character to be fresh.

Pitch LOTS of yeast, ... ... secondary for two to dry hop the snot out of it, and bottle condition for four weeks.

I used 1 packet of Wyeast 1056 according to instructions. Think I should pitch another? Also can you tell me how to dry hop? I have a package of hop pellets that are to be dry hopped in the secondary. Do I do something besides just dump them in? Note: Already has 6 oz. of hops. As mentioned before I dumped an oz of hops in the fermentation bucket not understanding that they were meant for "dry hop in secondary".

When I dry hop I use a hop bag (sanitized) with some fishing line attached (sanitized) to be able to retrieve the bag as well as to set it somewhere in the middle of the brew. I sanitize some marbles to add to the bag to help sink it.
Problem: hops swell and it is sometimes tricky getting the bag out.

Some people just dump the hops in loose. I think you can put a sanitized hop bag on the end of your siphon, if you choose to dump the hops in, to prevent sucking up hops into your siphoning.

I used 1 packet of Wyeast 1056 according to instructions. Think I should pitch another? Also can you tell me how to dry hop? I have a package of hop pellets that are to be dry hopped in the secondary. Do I do something besides just dump them in? Note: Already has 6 oz. of hops. As mentioned before I dumped an oz of hops in the fermentation bucket not understanding that they were meant for "dry hop in secondary".

If it's already fermenting it's too late to pitch more yeast.

Dry hopping you can dump them in and strain them out using a hop bag or cheesecloth over the syphon. I found this to be easier than the other methods since getting a bag in and out with hops in it can be tricky.

Back