High Flow Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntempleton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In this thread Brewmoor & ClaudiusB were talking about higher end, and higher flow pumps. Rather than pollute that thread, I thought I'd start a new one.

I'm in the process of upgrading my current brew stand to produce 20-25 gallon batches, with the intent of double batching on most brew days into my 1 barrel conical. My current Little Giant, while still functional, isn't especially fast. I've got plenty of friend in the professional brewing business. I know the pumps they use, but I'm not interested in dropping $1k on a pump that's way over kill for my needs.

The specific pump that Brewmoor was interested in is no longer available. Anybody have suggestions as to what you'd get?

Thanks.

The specs show that pump with a 29.3' max head, this would be the same as throttling the flow to the full off position. Using water at .43 psi per/ft this comes to 12.599 psi, under the pump specs at 150*F temp of 10 psi pressure spec. Your using the pump over the 10 psi spec by 2.599 psi besides this rating is at 150 *F temp not at 212*F on down be it 200*F still over the factory max temp spec by 50 to 62*F.

How about the March Nano Brewery Pump? 17gpm at 0 head. Just got one but haven't tested it yet. 1" inlet, 1/2" out.
phpThumb.php

How about the March Nano Brewery Pump? 17gpm at 0 head. Just got one but haven't tested it yet. 1" inlet, 1/2" out.
phpThumb.php

That's what i've been thinking about with mag drive pumps, in the 1/12 to the 1/8 HP range as you can always throttle them down not up if already underpowered. Bad feature the price is doubled plus needing two pumps it adds up.
I'm jazzed with the 1/25 HP Chugger pump being shipped free, by all means it will be used with pride. I just hope the people at Chugger can get the name out and become successful with their pump sales plus have available stainless pumps in 1/12 and 1/8 HP range. This would cover all our brewing needs. Carl....=o&o>.......

Can you tell me why you need THAT much power?

I am waiting for the LG 2-MD-HC 1/30 HP. Even with 3ft head (so.. like 7 GPM) and a recirculating plate chiller, I am expecting a 15 gallon chill time down to pitching temp of 8 mins. What black hole are you spawning with a TE5? Yikes!!

(I will say that the whirlpool vortex is not what I'm going for, just the recirculation).

Well, I don't like to wait for anything. I want my wort to arrive in the fermenter 8 seconds after flipping the switch. No seriously, I just got a really really good deal on the pump and I couldn't resist. It's more quiet than the March and is nearly self priming. I think the 1/25th pumps are generally underpowered if you're trying to whirlpool. I also plan on loaning this pump out to my club because we just built a 50 gallon system.

Add every fitting, directional change plus tubing be it SS or silicone the internal flow resistance all adds up. I bet any pump specs are rated under ideal conditions and now at 1/2 their listed output in GPM on a brewery rig.
Should one want a system that will net in corny's 15 gallons with a larger starting volume in the brewery add a long CFC it's rather taxing for a 1/25 hp spec pump. Whirlpooling strength matching that of an old man with an enlarged prostate good enough? A piss poor example?

I'm interested in hearing more about pump options, hence the resurrection. With current setup I've got a 50' 3/8" copper coil as a HERMS heat exchanger. My 1/20 HP Steelhead does alright, but leaves a little to be desired. I certainly wouldn't spend the money to bump up to the pumps listed thus far. Is there an option in between, the 1/8 HP and 1/20 HP, I currently have?

I'm interested in hearing more about pump options, hence the resurrection. With current setup I've got a 50' 3/8" copper coil as a HERMS heat exchanger. My 1/20 HP Steelhead does alright, but leaves a little to be desired. I certainly wouldn't spend the money to bump up to the pumps listed thus far. Is there an option in between, the 1/8 HP and 1/20 HP, I currently have?

That 3/8" coil is a restriction for the pump......i'm betting you are in the 2gpm range right now...only way to increase flow rate would be to get a pump that can generate more pressure. Look at the friction loss table below for the 3/8" line...depending on how much you want to flow through that line...the restriction against the pump can be as low as 1.1 feet of head height at 1gpm if you have a 3/8" line with type M tubing. Or as high as 24.85 feet of head height restriction if you had type K tubing and were trying to get 4gpm through it with your 50' coil......And that's not even factoring in the restriction of the heat exchanger or the physical head height your working with. :)

pressure-loss-copper-pipe-1.jpg

Back