High Five IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneOakDesign

Reaction score
This is an IPA i came up with a few months back. I really wanted an IPA with a huge hop aroma. I also wanted to try the continuous hop addition technique used by Dogfish Head. This is probably one of the best IPA's I have ever tasted. Several of my friends agree as well.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast Type: Safale US-05 (2 Packages)
Yeast Starter: Nope
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 99.5 (not entirely accurate due to the continuous hop additions)
% ABV: 7.51
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 Days at 71 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 Days at 71 degrees

Grain Bill:
13.0 lbs Pale 2-Row
1.20 lbs Crystal 40
0.40 lbs Cara-Pils

Mash:
Single Infusion mash for 60 minutes at 158 degrees.
Batch Sparge until 7 gallons wort acquired.

Hops and Boil:
2.0 oz Cascade
1.0 oz Magnum
0.5 oz Simcoe

Combine all of these and split it up into 15 even additions. Add these to the wort every 7.5 minutes, starting at the first signs of boiling. Boil for 90 Minutes.
Cool to 75 degrees and pitch two packets of Safale US-05. No starter necessary.

This beer ferments vigorously and quickly. Once fermentation is over, rack to secondary and add the following hops:

1 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Magnum
0.5 oz Simcoe

I just added the pellets directly to the secondary fermenter, no bag or anything. After about 5 days, the hops should settle to the bottom. Rack to keg and crash cool to 39 degrees. After about 4 more weeks, you will have a fine IPA! This beer is crystal clear and has a great initial bitterness, followed by a wonderful hop aroma. The cascades really fill out the hop nose nicely.

By the way, it's called High Five IPA because the first time my brew buddy and I tasted it, we high fived out of instinct, it was that good. It's now my house IPA

I like your method of combining all the hops into little batches and introducing them to the boil in small time intervals of 7.5 minutes

After a bulk hop buy and several batches I always end up with a grab bag of various ounces laying around in the freeze. In fact that's where I'm at right now, there's an ounce of Willamette, Liberty and Sterling in the freezer. I'm going try your hop method with 8 lbs 2 row, 1 lb Crystal 60, .5 pounds each of biscuit and carapils. Should be a tasty little amber ale.

Thanks for the tip.

Back