High Fermentation Temp Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
Planning on doing a Saison and from all accounts it sounds like I should ferment as high as I can get it 70+ degrees.

A couple of questions first. I have a regular fridge that I use as a fermentation chamber and have a two stage controller hooked up to the fridge and a small space heater. Based on past experience what is a reasonably high temperature that I could shoot for that doesn't short out the space heater. Fridge is in the garage and outside temps have been mid 30's overnight and mid 50's during the day here in Charlotte but that should change quickly. Garage may run 5-10 degrees warmer.

Secondly, if I am going to lock up my ferm chamber at 70+ degrees for a couple weeks what else can I ferment in a small batch other than a saison at these high temps. Or could I do some kind of second runnings. If I do some kind of second runnings, should I overcompensate in some manner.

Any ideas on the the two questions?

I have a big plastic tub (Walmart ~$5), in which I put the fermenter. Fill with water and use a fish tank heater to keep the water warm. Could this be an option for you.

Space heater inside the fridge sounds like a bad idea. When I needed to warm up my beer (belgians) I put a heating pad (like for sore muscles) in the bottom of a box (cardboard box one of my brew pots came in), set my fermenter on top of it, and packed as many blankets around the thing as I could. It was very easy to keep it in the upper 70's by running it on low and turning it back on periodically (it had an auto shut-off). If I could run it on low constantly, or even medium, hitting the 80's wouldn't have been a problem at all. Insulation is key.

If you can ferment inside, try that route first. I'd be scared the space heater will put off too much heat and warp some of the plastic in the fridge. Also, you wont get a good seal around the door with a power cord being closed in the door.

Thanks for the reply looneybomber but I am a little confused. I thought a number of people used this type of setup with two stage controllers and space heaters (electric). I am not concerned about the beer getting too hot since I will have a temp probe on it and I would be controlling temps within 2-3 degree range. I have been doing this all winter where the heater has likely been running more than the fridge but heating to 65 degrees only. My fear is that it might be running all the time to maintain such a high temp with winter temps outsides plus your comment about the door sealing could be a factor in regards to insulation. I suppose I could hook up a heating pad to the temperature controller and that might work as well.

I stand corrected. After reading some more on here a lot of others are advising against space heaters. I thought I read before a lot of people had success with these.

Blu, that is what I was concerned of too - it running too long to maintain temp and shooting hot air at the side of a plastic panel. Try the heat pad or swamp cooler with fish heater. Both will work well.

As for your second question, why not complement that dry, hoppy saison with a malty Belgian pale ale? The Wyeast Belgian Ardennes strain tolerates up to 24º C (can't remember that in Fahrenheit, but it's over 70) and makes a pretty delicious ale. I used it a bunch last summer to delicious effect.

Back