High Attenuation-Dry beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-lord

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a RyePA Sunday and both the refractometer and hydrometer showed it was 1.062 (shooting for .64). I added the Tilt and it showed it as 1.059, no surprise. I oxygenated the 6 gallons in the fermenter for 45 seconds as I usually do and added a 2L yeast starter. The Imperial was just at expiration date so I overbuilt the starter to save some. The starter was done in 24 hours and I cold crashed it so I could decanter into the fermenter.
Fermentation began in just about 4 hours which is really good. The next morning it was kicking it and the Tilt showed it at 1.044. That night, just about 32 hours after pitching, it was down to 1.025. I was now assuming the Tilt was wrong. Tuesday night, only a bit more than 48 hours after pitching, it was down to 1.011 and this morning, 1.005. So this morning I added some Cryo hops and took a taste as well as a refractometer reading. It was dry! Not in a really bad way but the refractometer pretty much matched the Tilt meaning, the yeast that is listed and usually shows 73%-77% attenuation was showing 90%. My 6.4% beer has turned into an almost 7.5% DIPA.

So I guess I am questioning what I did that caused this. I did use Cryo hops in the whirlpool which I don't think I had ever before. I mashed at 152 and it never got higher than 153. The ph was 5.28 and the recipe is below.
I used the Hoppy setting for water and it's basically Randy Mosher's IPA water profile which I have used before. However, while it seems normal for many, I don't recall having the S04 at 275 and I try to keep that under 225 and I'm wondering if that's the case with the rye adding something as well.....really don't know. Way too early to judge the beer but I don't think the dryness is changing for the better. 1.005 isn't overly bad but when you're expecting 1.015, you're not going to get the same beer.

Thoughts?????

Malts (13 lb 8 oz)
9 lb 8 oz (67.9%) — Mecca Grade Estate Malt Lamonta: Pale American Barley Malt — Grain — 2.8 °L
2 lb 8 oz (17.9%) — Mecca Grade Estate Malt Rimrock: Vienna-style Rye Malt — Grain — 5 °L
1 lb (7.1%) — Proximity Munich 10 — Grain — 4.3 °L
8 oz (3.6%) — Proximity Crystal 30 — Grain — 11.8 °L
Other (8 oz)
8 oz (3.6%) — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 °L

Hops (6 oz)
0.5 oz (20 IBU) — Chinook 13.6% — Boil — 60 min
1 oz (24 IBU) — Citra 12% — Boil — 20 min
1.5 oz (8 IBU) — Simcoe 13% — Boil — 0 min
0.5 oz (4 IBU) — Citra cryo 22.2% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand
2 oz — Cryo Simcoe 23.8% — Dry Hop — 5 days
0.5 oz — Cryo Citra 22.2% — Dry Hop — 5 days
Hopstand at 180 °F

Miscs
2.4 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
0.7 g — Canning Salt (NaCl) — Mash
6.3 g — Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
12.5 g — Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
1.5 ml — Lactic Acid 80% — Mash

Yeast
1 pkg — Imperial Yeast A07 Flagship
Water Profile
Ca+2 105 Mg+2 18 Na+ 16 Cl- 50 SO4 275 HCO3- 16

Nothing in your process or ingredients would cause 90%+ attenuation.

I wouldn’t trust the tilt or refractometer for FG measurements. Do you have a finishing hydrometer? It’s not hard to get 80-83% attenuation with Chico. Have a hard time believing it’s actually at 1.005.

Really the only way it got that low that fast if there was a fair amount of diastaticus yeast involved. A small diastaticus “infection” would take a much longer time to take gravity that low. There are no phenols present correct?

It could be hop creep related but you’re actually LESS likely to get hop creep with Cryo as the enzymes that cause it are found in the leaf material which is greatly reduced in the Cryo pellets as they’re predominately lupulin.

I didn't taste any off flavors and it smelled wonderful! But it definitely was dry. Only 3 days in and it's very hard to tell and I only dry hop this early when doing NEIPA's but I figured, Cryo has less vegetable matter and it's either done or close to it so why not dry hop now (longer) and cold crash at day 10 or 12 for 2-3 days then keg it and let it do its thing.
I'll definintely use the hydrometer before kegging to be sure. I've not had great luck with the Tilt but it has been cloe enough that I think if it's showing 1.006 instead of 1.015 or so, then it's close.
I've had hop creep before and I'm not seeing it this time.

Back