High Altitude Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierzwinski

Reaction score
I want to do a protein rest as I am going to brew a pale ale with 100% maris otter. The problem is that i don't know how to get to mash temp because water here boils at 195 deg bcs I am at 7000 ft above sea level. I often use Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators
to do my calculations, but there is no way to adjust for a lower boil temp so i don't know how much boiling water to add to get me from 130 to 153 deg.

Anyone know of a free calculator that i can do this with?

Anyone else deal with this that can comment?

boil a couple of gallons, pour a bit in, take temp, pour some more, take temp until you reach desired mash temp. then take notes.

or, forget the protein rest altogether.

@nebben

cool. that looks like it will work.

Do you know if the current volume is the volume of the water used at the beginning or the volume of the water and the grain together? It seems like it would be the latter. but i'm not sure how i would actually calculate that? maybe i'm making this harder than it needs to be? :) I couldn't take the gallons of water + the 'gallons' of grain (assuming i measured the grain by gallons) bcs the grain is going to absorb water?

So how do i figure out what to put in the first field of the calculator?

@phatuna - you might be right about just doing it a little at a time and taking notes. it would be nice to have something to go by though. I don't really want to do the protein rest. I never do this, but my bro in law (fellow brewer who is much better than me) suggested it bcs he ran into some trouble using Maris Otter and thought that he needed a protein rest to solve the problem.

Further thoughts??

Thanks guys for the help.

Back