High ABV Chocolate Stout yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rappell

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a high ABV (9-10%) Chocolate Stout and can't figure out the best yeast. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks

I tend to prefer my stouts to be English in interpretation, and 9-10% is about the ABV wall for a lot of English yeasts. I love Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire Ale for almost anything English, but you may have to prime with champagne yeast.

If you're going more American styled, there's quite a few yeasts that'll get the job done.

Alternatively, I think Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale would be a good bet. Versatile with some nice esters if you want to go warmer, but not "English" per se, alternatively very clean if you want to ferment cold. Plus it's a workhorse that'll easily tolerate 9-10% ABV.

Thanks all. That helps. I want the "English" to come through as I am going to bottle with about 3% Port wine from a friends winery. The added alcohol from the port will have to be tolerated by the yeast.

Back