Hibiscus sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YtBoI

Reaction score
So I'm still new to sours and I was wondering if anyone knew if hibiscus effects the bugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't imagine why it would, though to be sure you could rack onto hibiscus well after the bugs have done their job.

I can't imagine why it would, though to be sure you could rack onto hibiscus well after the bugs have done their job.

I put it on the boil... .5# in for 20 mins.

Then I pitched WLP630 Berliner weisse blend @ 75 degrees F

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396894717.458250.jpg that's the color I got.

Looks similar to Hill Farmstead/Anchorage's collaboration, Grassroots Brewing Arctic Soiree. Its an interesting one if you can find it.

I was wondering if anyone knew if hibiscus effects the bugs?

In my experience it doesn't seem to affect any brett bugs. Haven't used it on any other things such as lacto or pedio, but I've used it a good number of times with Brett.

Awesome thanks for the input! I'm going to add roselare to it in about a month... Hopefully it doesn't effect it!

Crooked Stave did a small batch with Hibiscus, came out really well. Brought a nice tart flavor to the funk (IIRC this was before Chad was adding a lot of bug cultures and used to to "sour" the beer quickly) Gorgeous color, his and YtBoI's.

Yt - where did you get the hibiscus? I've been wanting to get a hold of some

Crooked Stave did a small batch with Hibiscus, came out really well. Brought a nice tart flavor to the funk (IIRC this was before Chad was adding a lot of bug cultures and used to to "sour" the beer quickly) Gorgeous color, his and YtBoI's.

Yt - where did you get the hibiscus? I've been wanting to get a hold of some

El Super in La Puente, Ca $3.50/lb

El Super in La Puente, Ca $3.50/lb

Haven't been to La Puente in about 20 years, probably not going back either. Was hoping for an online source, but I'll just start poking around Denver

Haven't been to La Puente in about 20 years, probably not going back either. Was hoping for an online source, but I'll just start poking around Denver

Let a brother know if you score some! I'm in Boulder and have been searching myself but to no avail.

I usually get hibiscus at Sprout's. I've had good luck with Amazon in the past as well, but I don't remember what seller. If there's any shops that specialize in Mexican ingredients, you should be able to find some there. It might be called jamaica, as well.

Latest posts

Back