Hibiscus / Passion Fruit Saison idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've currently got a batch of cottage house saison fermenting right now and I'd like to expand upon the recipe after this one is finished.

My idea is to use that recipe as a base with the following modifications:

• replace fuggles with nelson sauvin hops (1/2oz FWH and 1/2oz 0min)
  • use grains of paradise instead of black pepper
  • add 3oz dried hibiscus flowers at 5 minutes
  • after 2 weeks, rack to secondary on top of 2 pouches (28oz total) of Goya Fruta passion fruit puree and a tea made of 6 oz of hibiscus flowers and ~1/2 gallon of water
  • optional - dry hop with 1 ounce of nelson sauvin a week before bottling

Do you think those modifications will work well together? Thoughts on changes to any of that?

I know it's not traditional but I really think the tropical flavor of passion fruit combined with the purple color and tartness of the hibiscus flowers and the fruitiness of the nelson sauvin hops will really combine well together.

You could probably use less water in your hibiscus tea for your end or ferm additions. When I make hibiscus tea it's 2 cups of hibiscus in six cups of water, on the stove simmering for a half hour, then steeped for ten minutes to cool a little before adding sugar and water. But I dilute it to a gallon. Not sure if that helps.:mug: adding less water would water your brew down less though.

You could probably use less water in your hibiscus tea for your end or ferm additions. When I make hibiscus tea it's 2 cups of hibiscus in six cups of water, on the stove simmering for a half hour, then steeped for ten minutes to cool a little before adding sugar and water. But I dilute it to a gallon. Not sure if that helps.:mug: adding less water would water your brew down less though.

I was thinking the same thing. No sense in diluting my beer even more than I have to :)

Also, your passion fruit puree will have some sugar and restart fermentation. I know it's not the same fruit but I was trying to use the same brand puree for a mango wheat. I'd have to dig through my notebooks but I think I used 6 or 8 packs for a ten gallon batch. Flavor was subtle but that's probably more about the individual fruit though.

Point being, add fruit, let secondary ferm happen, then add tea so you don't lose aroma there.

Back