Hi, y'all.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stirs

Reaction score
Hi y'all from The Outer Banks of NC. I'm here for an education. I love beer. I had never even thought about brewing until a few months ago. I'm in the waste-water business, so I work with bugs all the time. Just different bugs. Manipulating them to change the composition of molecules is what I do every day. I just never thought about brewing like that. Anyway, once I get my mind around it I'm sure I'll make a palatable beer and hopefully one I'll enjoy drinking. Until then, I'll pop in here fro time to time for answers and wisdom. Got my second batch going right now, a continental pilsner. In the secondary fermenter, 14 days old and very little foam. The temp is 68F. Is this normal?

Is it at 68F for a diacetyl rest or has it been there the whole time? Pilsners are lagers which are supposed to be fermented cool, ~ 50F, then lagered at near freezing.

The amount of foam doesn't really mean much. You should take gravity readings to know when fermentation is done (ask if you need help with that).

Oh and welcome. Love the Outer Banks. Lots of good memories from Corolla.

I just read an article about a guy in (Boston I think) making moonshine at his job at the water treatment plant. ;) I'd suggest not brewing at work. He got caught. haha

Welcome!

Back