Saison Hi Nelson! Nelson Hopped Saison w/Hibiscus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a saison using Nelson and Galaxy and Belle Saison yeast, finally got it kegged and find that it is lacking something. Do you think that you could add the tea straight to the keg? I'll probably brew a test batch to add to a glass (like a berliner wiesse) to make sure it adds what I'm looking for, but do you think it would be ok to do this late?

I add tea and dry hop in the keg, you're good to go.

I brewed this last weekend. Hit my numbers perfectly. I'm thinking of reusing the yeast cake for something, but I'm not sure. OG is a little high.

Anyone ever do this? If yes, any good recipes? If it matters, I have over 100 lbs of Pilsner malt and 50lbs+ of MO.

I brewed this last weekend. Hit my numbers perfectly. I'm thinking of reusing the yeast cake for something, but I'm not sure. OG is a little high.

Anyone ever do this? If yes, any good recipes? If it matters, I have over 100 lbs of Pilsner malt and 50lbs+ of MO.

I haven't tried adding wort to a yeast cake yet, but I have harvested Belle Saison yeast from the Hi Nelson w/Hibiscus Saison and pitched it in a Citra Saison and it did a great job! I used this recipe:

http://www.danielshomebrew.blogspot.com/2014/01/citra-saison.html

I used pale malt instead of Pilsner, subbed honey for the Candi Syrup and did a 60 minute boil instead of 90 minute. I think I dry hopped more Citra hops, too. It turned out very well.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414020693.672906.jpg

Wow!

Sent a bottle of Hi-Nelson out to member Billy-Klubb. I'm not a trader really, but I had used his base recipe for Scottish Ale to make a Scottish pumpkin ale and, while sending a couple of bottles of that, I sent along a Hi-Nelson.

His comment: "my first ever Hi Nelson from mattmmille. I could drink a gallon of this stuff tonight! I can see why a bunch of you like it so much. great job Matt!"

Passing along kudos to @Fuzzymittenbrewing !!! I've had nothing but positive reviews on this beer!

Sent a bottle of Hi-Nelson out to member Billy-Klubb. I'm not a trader really, but I had used his base recipe for Scottish Ale to make a Scottish pumpkin ale and, while sending a couple of bottles of that, I sent along a Hi-Nelson.

His comment: "my first ever Hi Nelson from mattmmille. I could drink a gallon of this stuff tonight! I can see why a bunch of you like it so much. great job Matt!"

Passing along kudos to @Fuzzymittenbrewing !!! I've had nothing but positive reviews on this beer!

That's awesome man, love hearing it. Its my recipe but you brewed it so kudos right back to ya. I have gotten great feedback on this as well. Planning on doing it with a few adjustments in a week or two. I will report results.

Yep. Second time I have made it. This time I made 10 gallons and added honey malt for some sweetness. Next time I will mash a couple degrees higher

Yep. Second time I have made it. This time I made 10 gallons and added honey malt for some sweetness. Next time I will mash a couple degrees higher

Nice Ive made it twice as well and added brett brux second time around that was dry and tart but I enjoyed it.

I made 10 gallons of this using different hops since I couldn't shell out the money for that much on hops.

Just kegged the first 5 gal and the second half is sitting on brett c

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

14 days in the primary and this this tastes pretty good. I used the belle saison yeast and it doesn't seem to have quite as much character as a 3711 but we will see how the final product turns out. Doing a secondary with nelson and hibiscus in a couple days.

I just got word that a couple of friends are going to get married in June after living together for 30 years...... I'm of course happy for them, but I won't attend the wedding....... I haven't attended a wedding in nearly 40 years and have no intention of breaking that record.

That said, I would like to send a wedding beer, and this one seems like a perfect choice. I'm inclined to include rye in this. June is not far off so I'd better get cracking on a test brew.

Unfortunately...... as usual, I don't have the grains...no flaked grains, plenty of two row plenty of wheat malt and rye malt, no pilsner. For the initial brew, I'll juggle the grain bill around a bit, and use quick oats instead of flaked oats, along with wheat, rye, and two row to shoot for the same SRM. The LHBS is 80 miles away, and I want to brew in a couple of days. I do have the hibiscus and Nelson (which I buy by the pound from Yakima Valley Hops). The trial brew will end up being significantly different in terms of grain bill from the recipe, but the hibiscus and Nelson are the keys anyway.

I am not set up for kegging....... it all adds up to quite a bit of money.... Several kegs, bottles, regulators, taps fittings, kegerator, etc. It adds up to more than the rest of my brewing equipment put together.

Williams offers a product called "tap a draft" which consists of 3 6 liter PET bottles (about 1.5 gallon each), with a serving tap, that includes a CO2 cartridge (for serving only). They also have a ball lock carbonation cap that fits these bottles. I just ordered all the components including after market caps that are said to be better, the ball lock carb cap, and a ball lock fitting to carbonate these. I've got $118.00 including shipping in this.
I have a huge CO2 bottle I can just barely lift....... and I'm no whimp.... regulator, etc for welding that should work just fine to carbonate.

Anybody have any experience with this system?

H.W.

my buddy has one, he let me borrow it once, the fact that you got some aftermarket stuff for the c02 will help, that was my main complaint. it was cheap plastic and broke.

is this to serve for the wedding? it may be hard to serve and probably come out pretty cloudy from moving it around unless you 2ndary, crash cool and do a super good job on getting everything out of suspension.
a keg, co2 tank, regulator and party tap wouldn't be that much more $$ and way better for that. just plop in it a bucket of ice and the bartender can serve it.
if its for personal, then yea would work nice to stick in your fridge on a shelf.

I just got word that a couple of friends are going to get married in June after living together for 30 years...... I'm of course happy for them, but I won't attend the wedding....... I haven't attended a wedding in nearly 40 years and have no intention of breaking that record.

That said, I would like to send a wedding beer, and this one seems like a perfect choice. I'm inclined to include rye in this. June is not far off so I'd better get cracking on a test brew.

Unfortunately...... as usual, I don't have the grains...no flaked grains, plenty of two row plenty of wheat malt and rye malt, no pilsner. For the initial brew, I'll juggle the grain bill around a bit, and use quick oats instead of flaked oats, along with wheat, rye, and two row to shoot for the same SRM. The LHBS is 80 miles away, and I want to brew in a couple of days. I do have the hibiscus and Nelson (which I buy by the pound from Yakima Valley Hops). The trial brew will end up being significantly different in terms of grain bill from the recipe, but the hibiscus and Nelson are the keys anyway.

I am not set up for kegging....... it all adds up to quite a bit of money.... Several kegs, bottles, regulators, taps fittings, kegerator, etc. It adds up to more than the rest of my brewing equipment put together.

Williams offers a product called "tap a draft" which consists of 3 6 liter PET bottles (about 1.5 gallon each), with a serving tap, that includes a CO2 cartridge (for serving only). They also have a ball lock carbonation cap that fits these bottles. I just ordered all the components including after market caps that are said to be better, the ball lock carb cap, and a ball lock fitting to carbonate these. I've got $118.00 including shipping in this.
I have a huge CO2 bottle I can just barely lift....... and I'm no whimp.... regulator, etc for welding that should work just fine to carbonate.

Anybody have any experience with this system?

H.W.

my buddy has one, he let me borrow it once, the fact that you got some aftermarket stuff for the c02 will help, that was my main complaint. it was cheap plastic and broke.

is this to serve for the wedding? it may be hard to serve and probably come out pretty cloudy from moving it around unless you 2ndary, crash cool and do a super good job on getting everything out of suspension.
a keg, co2 tank, regulator and party tap wouldn't be that much more $$ and way better for that. just plop in it a bucket of ice and the bartender can serve it.
if its for personal, then yea would work nice to stick in your fridge on a shelf.

Thanks for the suggestions..........What attracted me more than anything was the ability to use a CO2 cartridge for serving as a nice compact portable unit. I agree that a keg in a tub of ice would be more desirable, and I will probably go that way eventually. I brew small.... 2.5 gallon, and small kegs cost as much or more than large kegs. These plastic growlers are fairly cheap at $10 a pop. The tap with the CO2 receptacle is expensive at about $40.... If it works decently, I'll probably order more of them. It's perfect for personal use....... It should fit in the fridge easily.
Time will tell how well the system works..... I don't have space for a kegerator. I don't see sediment as being a problem, as I cold crash everything It would definitely be more desirable to be able to stand the jug up for the obvious reason of being able to pack it in ice easily.

H.W.

Here's the variant I'm going to try today....... 2.5 gallon brew This is based on what I have on hand. I'm going very light on the IBUs to highlight the tartness of the hibiscus. In my experience sour and bitter do not play well together.

Comments please? I won't be brewing until this evening. I'll be mashing at around 155 to maintain some body and sweetness.

H.W.

OG 1.069 (based on Brewer's Friend at 75% eff)
IBU 17
SRM 6.08

2 pounds 2 row
1/2 pound Munich 20
1 pound of malted wheat
10 ounces torrified wheat (the only unmalted grain I've got on hand.... all of it)
1/2 pound malted rye
1 pound invert sugar

.25 ounce Nelson @ 30
.5 ounce Nelson Dry hop (1 day)
1 quart Hibiscus tea = ( 1/4 pound hibiscus in 1 quart water ).... at cold crash

Are you guys just pitching one packet of belle? The pitching rate calculators are showing an underpitch, but maybe that's a good thing for the style? Just wondering what you all are doing.

Are you guys just pitching one packet of belle? The pitching rate calculators are showing an underpitch, but maybe that's a good thing for the style? Just wondering what you all are doing.

I pitched one package.

Cool, thanks

I pitched cropped yeast from a previous brew....... a pretty heavy pitch, far more than one packet. I wanted to keep the saison character understated. I did a second brew with IBUs in the 30's using USA 05, and it came out very much like a dry red wine.... quite good actually. A third brew uses a bit of Motueka to "broaden" the fruity base, and was fermented as a lager. It's in cold crash right now, and looks like it's going to be a winner.

H.W.

As I recall, I followed the original recipe and pitched one packet of yeast. Belle Saison is a monster!

One packet of Belle will do work. Ive used it 4 times in different saisons and all have ended under 1.004. All seem to have residual sweetness in mouthfeel though, even the one sitting at .999. That is my go to saison yeast now. Incredible finished product.

Emptying all that air youve been fermenting shouldn't be too difficult of a task. :D

yeah, yeah, yeah, been too long since I've brewed anything. Problem with making sours is tying up fermenters for so long. I've got 8 fermenters tied up with sours at the moment...

I got a new better bottle and I'm going to clean up an old brewing bucket and use them so I don't think I have to rush any of the sours into bottles.

Shooting for a brew day either tonight after the kids go to bed, or early tomorrow! :rockin:

yeah, yeah, yeah, been too long since I've brewed anything. Problem with making sours is tying up fermenters for so long. I've got 8 fermenters tied up with sours at the moment...

I got a new better bottle and I'm going to clean up an old brewing bucket and use them so I don't think I have to rush any of the sours into bottles.

Shooting for a brew day either tonight after the kids go to bed, or early tomorrow! :rockin:

I feel you. I need more glass carboys. Only have 3 and that doesnt work when trying to brew a lot of sours.

I'm half tempted to take a gravity reading out of curiosity. It's got an inch and a half of krausen already. Needless to say, I'm excited about this one.

Damn, ive never had it start that quickly haha did you pitch a packet in each fermentor?

Would the tazo tea bag with hibiscus and some other herbs and spices work the tea is pretty tasty but wasn't sure if there was something i should look out for with using a boxed tea bag pre packaged? Think this is the next one up on the brew deck

Back