Hi, I'm New Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutra2418

Reaction score
Hey, I've been lurking around these forums for a little while and have decided to finally make a user name and post my first question. I have two batches under my belt so far (both extract). The first one turned out pretty darn good(for a first batch), and the 2nd really tasted like a great beer(for a 2nd batch :eek: )! Now on my 3rd batch (a winter ale) and its the first time I've ever racked to a glass carboy. Its so cool to actually see the beer clearing..anyway, on to my question. I tasted before I racked to the 2ndry and decided that I needed more cinnamon. So I boilded some in a cup or so of water and added it before I siphoned my beer in. Also, I measured the gravity (its at 1.020). First off, is that too high (no more bubbles in the airlock). Also, I noticed some semi-clear fluid on top of my fermenting beer (about an inch or so). Is that just the water from the cinnamon being less dense than the beer and rising to the top, or is it something to be worried about. Thanks!

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk!

You say you've been lurking for a while now, so you may already know about some of this:

If you haven't already checked it out, definitely go to How to Brew - By John Palmer

Check out our Wiki!

When it comes to equipment, check out our DIY section....lots of cool stuff.

Don't forget to search...

Good to have you aboard.

It is cool to see all of the activity in the carboy, isn't it?

Welcome to HomeBrewTalk!

You say you've been lurking for a while now, so you may already know about some of this:

If you haven't already checked it out, definitely go to How to Brew - By John Palmer

Check out our Wiki!

When it comes to equipment, check out our DIY section....lots of cool stuff.

Don't forget to search...

Good to have you aboard.

It is cool to see all of the activity in the carboy, isn't it?

*Read it (twice :) )
*Cool Wiki
*Love the DIY section
*Searched and couldnt find my 2nd question.
*I stare at it for minutes at a time haha :eek:

Welcome! You are about to embark on a magical journey. Godspeed my son, may your primary always be full!

Welcome, brother dutra2418!

In terms of your 1.020 reading, your fermentation probably isn't done but is rather close. Remember - the hydrometer reading is only a comparative measure of the density of your sample against pure water. The presence of spices and other unfermentables will raise your SG readings. If you've heavily spiced your winter ale you could easily elevate your FG by significant numbers. If you post your recipe it wouldn't be difficult to geek out the numbers and give you your theoretical FG and you can use that as a basis for comparison.

As far as the layer on your wort, dunno. Probably not water since the water would go into solution. If it is water, you may be looking at a temperature difference separating the layers, but thats just speculation and should equalize and disappear quickly. At any rate, your krausen would probably clear anything like that up so again - dunno. Again, if you post your recipe it may give a clue. In any event - its not likely to be anything to be concerned about.

Gordie.

Latest posts

Back