Hi, Im new here. 1st Brew Q's.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NB247

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I'm new to this forum but have been visiting for the past while to gain some knowledge on making some tasty drinks.

I started a 1 litre raisin and prune wine last night and I think I used too much yeast, maybe twice as much as I needed. Oh well I'll see how it goes, but here is the question: What is that spongy stuff floating at the top of the brew in the picture? Is it yeast? It started to form shortly after I added the yeast. The stuff below it are raisins and prunes.

Thanks for your time. I hope to learn a lot here, and start making some fun and exciting drinks.

Hopefully the picture turned out......

DSCN099422.jpg

Hopefully you have this capped or covered somehow? Its hard to tell by the photo but im going to guess thats all the yeast "krausen" that forms when the yeast are doing their thing, it just looks funky because its going up through all of your fruits.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the same too, that is was "Krausen" (sp?)
I wasn't sure though because it didn't look like anything that I have seen from pictures.

Yes, it is capped. I have three layers of protection covering the ferment. It's in the oven right now to keep warm (no heat on) as my apartment is really cold during winters.

Another question: Is there anything else I should expect to visibly grow in the ferment over the next 1-2 weeks? Like something growing on top of the "Krausen" or in the liquid that may look like infection but is not harmful? I noticed some continuous bubbling this morning so I suspect that the brew is fermenting...so that may deter some other growths...not sure.

We shall see if it rots or is drinkable! Smells like tasty yeast/bread...

Welcome to the forum!

Generally if you see anything on the brew that looks like a cracking ice sheet, anything that looks like wax, anything that is really ropey, or anything that is fuzzy (this one is mold) then you're looking at an infection. Most of the time these really aren't very hard to spot :mug:

Thanks for the reply. I noticed a thread on here that is about posting ones infection, that one helps a lot. What do you mean by "really ropey" though, that the infection looks ropey? Can someone please post a picture of what a ropey infection is? I tried google to find out what that was but couldn't find a picture....

Thank you kindly!

I wouldnt worry too heavily about infections, its pretty obvious to many when they are infected. Most infections are going to be the white film on top that almost looks like a spiderweb across the entire top of your brew.

+1 not to worry about it too much. I don't have a picture on hand, but there is probably one somewhere in that infection thread.

Back